The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 30, 2003, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

As a PU, do you allow the batter time to get ready when they have both feet in the batter's box? This is experienced ASA 14U age group. Many girls hold up their hand to the PU requesting time to get ready.

I was requested to watch for quick pitching by a coach during one game. I am very unlikely to grant time to a batter when both feet are in the box. I feel if they need time to dig their feet in etc, then they should keep one foot out of the box.

Simply said: With the batter completely in the box, can the pitcher pitch? OR does the pitcher have to wait until the batter is ready to receive the pitch?
Old Wed Jul 30, 2003, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

If the batter needs time to dig in, I'll give it to her. It's kind og tough to get both feet set, when one foot is outside the box. I'll give the batter plenty of time to get set the first time. If nothing happens on the pitch, ie. pass ball, stolen base, foul ball etc..., I won't allow a lot of time to get set. She can step one foot out, take a signal and get ready again. I don't allow any Jeff Bagwell times.
Old Wed Jul 30, 2003, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rafking
As a PU, do you allow the batter time to get ready when they have both feet in the batter's box? This is experienced ASA 14U age group. Many girls hold up their hand to the PU requesting time to get ready.

I was requested to watch for quick pitching by a coach during one game. I am very unlikely to grant time to a batter when both feet are in the box. I feel if they need time to dig their feet in etc, then they should keep one foot out of the box.

Simply said: With the batter completely in the box, can the pitcher pitch? OR does the pitcher have to wait until the batter is ready to receive the pitch?
You should not allow the pitch to begin until the batter is ready. That doesn't mean you ignore the time limitation set upon the batter to prepare for a pitch.

The fact that both feet are in the box only means that the requirements have been met so the umpire may allow a pitch to begin. A little preventive umpiring works well in these circumstances.

Old Wed Jul 30, 2003, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Definitely allow the batter time to get set. What do you gain by hurrying the batter, other than giving the pitcher an advantage?

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Jul 30, 2003, 06:53pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by rafking

The batter shall be comfortably settled in the box before I allow the pitch.
Old Thu Jul 31, 2003, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

I will allow the batter time to get set before each pitch. It can be a safety issue if you allow the pitch before the batter is watching for it.

That said, I won't allow a complete little ritual after the first pitch. But the remedy is not to signal for a pitch - it is to warn the batter to get ready, and if she doesn't, call a strike - no pitch is necessary (and, as I said, may get someone hurt.)
Old Thu Jul 31, 2003, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lildani14 Send a message via MSN to lildani14
ok along these same lines, this was something that happened to me couple weekends ago.

ok my pre-pitch warm up as a batter is to put one foot in, take my sign, hold my hand up for time and then get settled in the box, then drop my hand and then the pitcher pitches

but during one at bat the pitcher was taking awhile to get her sign and i also didn't feel comfortable (i was a bit jumpy, i guess) so i called time to reset by holding up my hand, umpire granted it and i stepped out, about the same time the ump called time the pitcher started her windup, and got about half way up in the first rotation of the windmill and then she stopped and froze in that position.

now my question is, does the pitcher have to step off and restart (presentation and all) after i reset in the box or can she stay halfway through her wind-up?
Old Thu Jul 31, 2003, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lildani14
now my question is, does the pitcher have to step off and restart (presentation and all) after i reset in the box or can she stay halfway through her wind-up?
Step off? No. Reset? Yes. Presentation? No such thing in ASA, but if you mean bring the hands together, yes.

When TIME was called by the umpire, the ball was dead. What the pitcher did during a dead ball (including holding the ball in her hand above her head) is completely irrelevant. When play resumes, she must restart the pitch from the beginning, including taking (or simulating taking) the signs.

What happened? Did the umpire allow her to resume from her "frozen" position?
Old Fri Aug 01, 2003, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lildani14 Send a message via MSN to lildani14
yes, she was allowed to pitch to me from her frozen position, so basically i got quick pitched. i was able to get set for the pitch because i knew that it would be coming, so all in all not a huge deal, but still wondering if what she did was legal.
Old Fri Aug 01, 2003, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

It was illegal, but it sounds to me like it would have been a disadvantage to the pitcher. I'm no pitching coach, but it seems to me that if the pitcher is not going through her normal, well-practiced motion, her control or speed or something would be less that optimal, wouldn't it?

I'l glad this goofy situation didn't cost you.