The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 02, 2006, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Leaving base early

ASA, fast pitch. Girl leaves 1B before the ball leaves pitcher's hand. I thought this was an appeal play. In reviewing NF rules, it's an out. Is this an appeal play in ASA? i.e., do we only call runner out if player or coach requests an appeal?

Next question. Ball 4. BR jogs to 1B. Catcher toss ball back to pitcher who is in circle. BR rounds 1B toward 2B. Stops, sees that pitcher has ball and immediately retreats toward 1B. Coach wants me to call BR out at 1B. I didn't. Did I miss this call? This was an instructional level game, so coaches were not really giving me a hard time, but weekend tournament time is coming. Can't miss this at that level.
Old Fri Jun 02, 2006, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_Dave
ASA, fast pitch. Girl leaves 1B before the ball leaves pitcher's hand. I thought this was an appeal play. In reviewing NF rules, it's an out. Is this an appeal play in ASA? i.e., do we only call runner out if player or coach requests an appeal?
No, this is not a appeal play. Dead ball / no pitch - you ring her up. Perhaps you are confusing leaving early on a pitch with leaving early (failure to tag up) on a caught fly ball. THAT is an appeal play.

BTW, in ASA, the only appeal play the coach is allowed to appeal is batting out of order. The others must come from a player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_Dave
Next question. Ball 4. BR jogs to 1B. Catcher toss ball back to pitcher who is in circle. BR rounds 1B toward 2B. Stops, sees that pitcher has ball and immediately retreats toward 1B. Coach wants me to call BR out at 1B. I didn't. Did I miss this call? This was an instructional level game, so coaches were not really giving me a hard time, but weekend tournament time is coming. Can't miss this at that level.
You got it right. If the BR rounds 1st base, and the LBR is in effect, she is allowed one stop just like any other runner. Things are more complicated with respect to the LBR if she overruns 1B while the LBR is in effect.