The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 10, 2005, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

I need guidance (ASA rules) - You see a base runner leave early.

Is this an automatic out or an appeal?

If it's an automatic out how do you handle it?

Would you call them out following the completion of the play or as soon as you see them leave early?

What if they would have made it to the next base as a result of the play anyway?

Thanks
Old Thu Nov 10, 2005, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Justme

Would you call them out following the completion of the play or as soon as you see them leave early?

What if they would have made it to the next base as a result of the play anyway?

Thanks
If a runner loses contact with the base prior to the release of the pitch, the correct call would be "no pitch, the runner is out for leaving early." That's it. Nothing else to consider. Make the call as soon as you see it happen.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Nov 10, 2005, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Also remember, there can only be one out called at a time, since when one does it, it becomes a dead ball. If two or more runners leave early, decide which one left early first and call them out while returning eveyone else back. Dave
Old Thu Nov 10, 2005, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks
Leave early when? On a pitch? On a caught fly ball?
Old Thu Nov 10, 2005, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by shipwreck
Also remember, there can only be one out called at a time, since when one does it, it becomes a dead ball. If two or more runners leave early, decide which one left early first and call them out while returning eveyone else back. Dave
It's been my observation that when multiple runners leave early, as a designed play perhaps, the lead runner is usually the one that left first, in my judgement.
Old Thu Nov 10, 2005, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

** Leave early when? On a pitch? On a caught fly ball?***

Sorry, guess I should have been clear. I was mainly asking about leaving early on a pitch. But since you brought it up, when they leave early on a caught fly ball is it handled different from baseball? If so, how do you call it?

I'm just getting started working softball (for a couple of months now) and since I haven't had access to an ASA rule book (yet) I'm kind of learning as I go. I mainly work baseball where leading off is allowed. I haven't noticed anyone leave early so far in my softball career (maybe I need to watch closer).

I appreciate everyone's input.
Old Thu Nov 10, 2005, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
** Leave early when? On a pitch? On a caught fly ball?***

Sorry, guess I should have been clear. I was mainly asking about leaving early on a pitch. But since you brought it up, when they leave early on a caught fly ball is it handled different from baseball? If so, how do you call it?

I'm just getting started working softball (for a couple of months now) and since I haven't had access to an ASA rule book (yet) I'm kind of learning as I go. I mainly work baseball where leading off is allowed. I haven't noticed anyone leave early so far in my softball career (maybe I need to watch closer).

I appreciate everyone's input.
Don't worry, we'll save you from the dark side.

On a caught fly ball/line drive, the runners are allowed to leave at the first contact the ball has with a defender.
Old Thu Nov 10, 2005, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

And remember...

Leaving early on a caught flyball is an appeal play. So NO, you don't kill the ball and call the runner out. You try to hide your grin as you wait to see how closely the defense is paying attention, before calling the runner out.
Old Fri Nov 11, 2005, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

*** Leaving early on a caught flyball is an appeal play. So NO, you don't kill the ball and call the runner out. You try to hide your grin as you wait to see how closely the defense is paying attention, before calling the runner out. ***

That's the way I've been playing it... just like baseball.

*** Don't worry, we'll save you from the dark side ***

Save me from the dark side? I'm afraid I turned toward the dark side so many years ago that I might not be savable :-) "different rules this game of softball has, learn them all I must"

Thanks again for the rule clarification
Old Fri Nov 11, 2005, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"different rules this game of softball has, learn them all I must"
Just me is really Yoda???

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Nov 16, 2005, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Leaving the base early is "no Pitch!" runner out for leaving early. Leaving early on a fly ball is an appeal play.