The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Wiping out field lines

Regarding the new ASA rule for 2006 about warnings/penalties for either the offense or defense wiping out chalk lines on the field - Has anyone had this come up in a game yet, and have you called it? Are the coaches aware of this new rule? I was told by my board not to be 'nit-picking' and go looking for it, yet I only learned of the rule at my board's pre-season mandatory rules clinic.
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

I thought this was a high school (NFHS) rule change. Not ASA

David
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoot
Regarding the new ASA rule for 2006 about warnings/penalties for either the offense or defense wiping out chalk lines on the field - Has anyone had this come up in a game yet, and have you called it? Are the coaches aware of this new rule? I was told by my board not to be 'nit-picking' and go looking for it, yet I only learned of the rule at my board's pre-season mandatory rules clinic.
Nope, not ASA.

The players can do whatever they want to the lines as far as I'm concerned.
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, Fed coaches are aware because it can get them restricted to the bench on the 2nd violation

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Nothing in high school ball this year. I had 2 partners call this in college games.

If I see it, it's getting called.
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
It's a NF rule this year. Of course I would probably call it if they get rid of the lines before I do . . .

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
For FED, it was emphasized at a preseason clinic for coaches. We were told to call it (penalty strike or ball and warning.) It might have been emphasized because everyone around here did it.

In a high school tournament, we did call it on the lead off batter of a private Christain school that was not used to playing under NFHS rules.
Old Fri Jun 02, 2006, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

Get this...

My wife is an assistant coach for a local high school team. She told me that the head coach told the girls the new rule at the beginning of the year, and told them to take out the lines during pre-game warm up instead! Lines that they leave unwiped (that may later be a problem to him) are erased when he shuffles up at the pre-game conference at home plate. That way the girls don't get a warning, and he is safe.
Old Fri Jun 02, 2006, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueump
Get this...

My wife is an assistant coach for a local high school team. She told me that the head coach told the girls the new rule at the beginning of the year, and told them to take out the lines during pre-game warm up instead! Lines that they leave unwiped (that may later be a problem to him) are erased when he shuffles up at the pre-game conference at home plate. That way the girls don't get a warning, and he is safe.
I could easily take care of that (and I WOULD) by telling the coach he needed to put the boxes back down before we start . . .

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Fri Jun 02, 2006, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
I could easily take care of that (and I WOULD) by telling the coach he needed to put the boxes back down before we start . . .
Actually, what I would do is thank the coach for making the boundaries of the boxes to be entirely my judgment so that there will be absolutely no complaints about my calls.
Old Fri Jun 02, 2006, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueump
Get this...

Haven't tossed anyone at the pre-game in a long time

I'm with Tom. That makes EVERYTHING concerning the BB my judgment.
Old Sat Jun 10, 2006, 09:59pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

I actually saw a batter do this twice in the same at bat. Or so I thought.

She was in the BB, and was kicking out dirt to make a hole and some of the dirt oblitered part of the BB line on two occasions.

I would have likely called it, but I'm not the umpire

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sat Jun 10, 2006, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
The Fed rule says that the player must 'intentionally remove the lines'. If a player is rearranging the dirt to make the batters box suitable for her at bat and it covers up a line, I'm not going to assume that she 'intentionally removed a line'. I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt.

It certainly is gray area in my mind.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Sun Jun 11, 2006, 04:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue
The Fed rule says that the player must 'intentionally remove the lines'. If a player is rearranging the dirt to make the batters box suitable for her at bat and it covers up a line, I'm not going to assume that she 'intentionally removed a line'. I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt.

It certainly is gray area in my mind.
Mark,
I don't think you're giving the players enough credit. Of course they are going to make it look like they're just rearranging the dirt in the batter's box. That batter intentionally rearranged that dirt and in doing so, removed the lines - that's intent, call it. They know what they are doing.
Old Sun Jun 11, 2006, 06:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man
I actually saw a batter do this twice in the same at bat. Or so I thought.

She was in the BB, and was kicking out dirt to make a hole and some of the dirt oblitered part of the BB line on two occasions.

I would have likely called it, but I'm not the umpire
Speaking ASA

This is nothing. Welcome the reconfiguration of the BB as a challenge to the umpire's judgment skills