The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Runner Hits Shortstop? What's the call?

Well I was watching my girlfriends softball game and being a baseball player myself I was very interested in figuring out the correct call for this play.

First of all there are runners on 1st 2nd and 3rd less no outs. The batter hits a ground ball to the shortstop. The runner runs into the shortstop causing her to make an error.

After this occurs the field umpire rules the ball dead. He calls the runner out that interfered with the shortstop. He also rules that the runner on first is allowed to advance and the batter reaches first safetly, yet the runner on 3rd base who would have scored is called back.

In short the batter and runner on 1st base advance a base, the runner the hit the shortstop is called out and the runner on 3rd base has to stay on 3rd.

This is obviously the wrong call since only one runner isn't allowed to advance.Please give me your thoughts. Thank you
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Correct call
R2 is out interference.
R1 cannot score because the ball is dead at the time of the interference and the out on R2 eliminates the force
R3 is awarded second to which she is forced to advance, the vacated base after the out
The BR is awarded first - The duck has to swim somewhere

If R2's interference was ruled intentional to break up a double play, R1 could be called out as well.

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Last edited by tcblue13; Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 09:40pm.
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

What's the call?

That's interference, immediate dead ball, interfering runner is out, all other runners return to base acquired at time of interference, batter is awarded first, and any runner forced by this award advances to the next base.

So assuming the runner from third had not crossed the plate by the time of the interference, this was not a wrong call.

Same for all rulesets of which I am aware, both softball and baseball.
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

wow, I guess you learn something new everyday. Thanks for clearing that up. I guess the umpire was right after all.
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by softballfan06
wow, I guess you learn something new everyday. Thanks for clearing that up. I guess the umpire was right after all.
Just so you'll know, The umpire would also be right if he had called it that way in one of your baseball games.
Old Fri Jun 02, 2006, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by softballfan06
I guess the umpire was right after all.
We usually are, even when players and fans think we aren't.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Jun 02, 2006, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Parents and Fans

This is no disrespect to you softballfan06, but I don't really care if parents or fans think we get the call right. As long as when I walk back to my position at home plate or in the field I know I got the play right that's all that matters.

My feelings with parents and fans is this: If you think you can do a better job umpiring, grab some gear and indicator and come on out. Otherwise, just watch the game and zip the lid. I loved it earlier this year a fan yelled from the stands, "Blue you need to go to school!!" I didn't say anything, but I wanted to tell him, well I have been to 2 already this year (Harry Wendelstedt and the Seattle ASA Clinic).

SeattleMetroUmp