The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 23, 2005, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Need Help on this one.....

A runner is at 1st base (R1) with her foot on the bag still after the pitch and still on the bag after the ball is hit.
Batter (B1) hits a hard ground ball down the 1st baseline and hits R1 in the leg and the ball then goes into the outfield.
The 1st basemen (F1) was playing in front of the runner and the ball was hit pass her...

Is the runner out? Is the ball live?
Why or why not???
Thanks
Old Tue Aug 23, 2005, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Unless the umpire feels that the runner standing on base intentionally interfered with the batted ball, the runner who is in contact with the base when hit by a fair batted ball is not out. Why? Because that is the rule. However, not having my rule book with just now, I cannot cite rule number. Maybe someone else will come along who can.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Aug 23, 2005, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

ASA 8.8-D: To be "not out", requires that the ball have passed an infielder, no distinction whether on base or not when the runner is hit by a fair batted ball. (Ball is still live by default.)

ASA 8.1-E: Specifically states that the runner is not out when touching a base and hit by a fair batted ball unless intent to interfere can be ruled. Also specifically states that the ball is live once it's passed an infielder (except F1), see EFFECT 2.

Either way the ball is live, and R1 is not out. The ASA rule book is the only one I've got. Other sanctioning bodies might disagree.
Old Tue Aug 23, 2005, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

In ASA, a runner who is hit by a fair batted ball while not in contact with a base is not out if the ball has passed a fielder other than the pitcher and no other fielder has an opportunity to make an out.

But when the runner is in contact with a base, another criterion comes into play.

"When a fair ball touches a runner who is in contact with a base, the ball remains live or is ruled dead depending on the position of the fielder closest to the base."

If the closest fielder is in front of the runner, the ball is live. If the closest fielder is behind the runner, the ball is dead.

Play:

Abel on 1B with no outs, defense expecting a bunt. F3 charges, while F4 rotates to cover 1B. Baker swings, however, and slashes a hard ground ball to the right side. The ball goes right past F3, who is near the 1B line halfway between 1B and home, but F3 does not touch it. F4, running toward 1B, is now the fielder closest to the base. Though F4 has no chance to field the ball (make an out), she is behind Abel. Abel is hit by the batted ball while in contact with 1B.

The ball passed F3, which would normally make the ball live. But the way I read the blanket statement quoted above, Abel's being on the base while hit supersedes, and F4's being the fielder closest to the base makes the ball dead.
Old Tue Aug 23, 2005, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you, greymule. I never managed to make any sense out of EFFECT 3, 8.1-E (poorly worded? Or is my organic rule interpreter busted?).

Where'd you come up with the "behind/in front of the runner" interpretation on the nearest fielder to the bag? It's not stated in the rule itself. Your interpretation makes sense and all, it's just not spelled out in the rule text. Casebook? Yet something else I should be reading?

Your sitch, while different than the original question, sure points out 8.1-E EFFECT 3 nicely. I think I now understand it. If you could, all I'd need is a citation to back me up should I ever land in front of the protest board on this kind of call

TIA. Having all this experience around is GREAT!!
Old Tue Aug 23, 2005, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Right now I'm reorganizing my office and can find neither rule book nor case book. When I do, I'll find where the position of the fielder is mentioned. In the meantime, maybe somebody else can help.
Old Tue Aug 23, 2005, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by noobie
Thank you, greymule. I never managed to make any sense out of EFFECT 3, 8.1-E (poorly worded? Or is my organic rule interpreter busted?).

Where'd you come up with the "behind/in front of the runner" interpretation on the nearest fielder to the bag? It's not stated in the rule itself. Your interpretation makes sense and all, it's just not spelled out in the rule text. Casebook? Yet something else I should be reading?

Your sitch, while different than the original question, sure points out 8.1-E EFFECT 3 nicely. I think I now understand it. If you could, all I'd need is a citation to back me up should I ever land in front of the protest board on this kind of call

TIA. Having all this experience around is GREAT!!
Try POE #44
Old Wed Aug 24, 2005, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Thank you, Mike. There it be