The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 02, 2006, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

ASA hat sizes

I've gotten back into ASA this year after 8 or 10 years out of it. I ordered two ASA hats. The hats I received are both labelled the same size, however one is about a size smaller than the other.

I will not order New Era hats online for this reason... they are never consistant on their sizes. ASA hats do not appear to be New Era, but do y'all find it normal for ASA hats to be inconsistant in their sizing? If so, got any suggestions.
Old Fri Jun 02, 2006, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

In my experience, New Era is closer to proper sizing than the ASA hats.

Does your state have any authorized ASA uniform dealers? We have that in Georgia, and the dealer attends many camps and association clinics so that people have access to purchase what they need. Years back, it was my franchise, which has passed on to another. The benefit to umpires is, obviously, the ability to try on hats (and other items), and to see what you are buying.

If not, ask your commisioner (Gerald McDonald) and state UIC (Mike Addison) why not!! Or, you can drive to Duluth, Georgia (about 60 minutes south of Clemson right off I-85).
Old Fri Jun 02, 2006, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, Steve. I didn't realize they had authorized dealers. I thought there was only one option.

I have a tournament tomorrow about an hour away in Aiken. I'm driving over with Mike Addison so I'll chat with him about it on the ride. Thanks again.
Old Fri Jun 02, 2006, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

I do not intend to bash the ASA, especially since I have umpired ASA ball for over 15 years, but their merchandise has a lot to be desired.I expressed my opinion about their terrible quality shirts on another thread.As for the hats,you are absolutely correct about inconsistant sizing.I also ordered 2 new hats this year and the quality of hat is lacking from my last hat order in 2004.If the ASA limits the sale of their official merchandise to their home site and the same merchandise through authorized dealers,they should sell quality merchandise.I prefer to look professional when on the field and the ASA shirts and hats look like crap in comparison the my high school and college apparrel.JMHO

Jeff
NFHS Umpire
NCAA Umpire
ASA Umpire
Old Sat Jun 03, 2006, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
If not, ask your commisioner (Gerald McDonald) and state UIC (Mike Addison) why not!! Or, you can drive to Duluth, Georgia (about 60 minutes south of Clemson right off I-85).
Well I did to my first ASA tournament since the late 90's. After having done almost exclusively FED ball during that time I got put on the 10-U field. It was definitely a trip. I enjoyed it but don't know if I could do it every day.

I met Gerald and Mike both and found that SC does not have a dealer. But since I've got relatives and friends in Atlanta, I might have to stop in Duluth. What's the name of the place?
Old Sat Jun 03, 2006, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Just a thought......many hosts for National Schools arrange for a dealer to come in or obtain and inventory of uniforms from OKC to sell at the school.

If one is in your area, you may want to check with the State/Metro UIC to find if they will be selling any merchandise at the school.
Old Sun Jun 04, 2006, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Ump
Well I did to my first ASA tournament since the late 90's. After having done almost exclusively FED ball during that time I got put on the 10-U field. It was definitely a trip. I enjoyed it but don't know if I could do it every day.

I met Gerald and Mike both and found that SC does not have a dealer. But since I've got relatives and friends in Atlanta, I might have to stop in Duluth. What's the name of the place?
It's an individual working out of his house; about 2 miles off I-85. Business name, "The Umpire Shop"; next time in the area, call Barry Sullivan at 770-623-1750, and he will make arrangements with you. Feel free to tell him "Steve" referred you.
Old Sun Jun 04, 2006, 05:36am
Official Forum Member

Mike and Steve, Thanks for the input. I will do.
Old Sun Jun 04, 2006, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
Feel free to tell him "Steve" referred you.
Make sure you do this or Steve will lose his commission
Old Sun Jun 04, 2006, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
I ordered a 4 stich and 6 stich ASA hat. I ordered the exact size as my old ones. Guess what? The 6 stich fits perfectly. The 4 stich plate hat WAY!!! too big. Now I need to send it back and try to figure out which size to get. Dave
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

I never buy fitted hats by mail order, especially plate hats. I will go to our state commissioner's office, who has umpire unifom and other gear for sale to buy hats. My "normal" plate hat is 7 3/8. I bought a new plate hat last week. I asked the clerk to bring out several 7 3/8's and several 7 1/4's. After trying them on, I bought a 7 1/4.

Other than the need to personally try them on, I have no issue whatsoever with the quality of ASA hats. They look sharp, and they stand up to several years of use, including very frequent washing. I sill have very sharp-looking hats without the flag on the side. How old are those? 5-6 years at this point?

BTW, I bought a pair of the Cliff Keen combo pleated pants last year, and a pair of the Fechheimer plate pants from the ASA official gear web site this year. I'm thinking of doing a kind-of "consumer reports" comparison. Would anyone be interested?
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota

BTW, I bought a pair of the Cliff Keen combo pleated pants last year, and a pair of the Fechheimer plate pants from the ASA official gear web site this year. I'm thinking of doing a kind-of "consumer reports" comparison. Would anyone be interested?
Sure, send me a pair of each (42X31) and I'll be more than happy to wear and compare.
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Sure, send me a pair of each (42X31) and I'll be more than happy to wear and compare.
Not EXACTLY what I had in mind!