The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Question

do face masks come in different sizes or one size fits all? I tried one on at the local sports store and it didn't seem comfortable. How do you adjust the fit/comfort- just by tightening the harness or can you buy smaller/larger pads?
Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

One size fits all. Make harness adjustments and you
can try different pads that are made for the mask...
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Just to add to Glen's post that they do make Youth and Adult masks. The one you tried in the store may have been a Youth catcher's mask maybe why it didnt feel right..

Don
Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I have a question. It's a little stupid, but how can you take off your mask in a hurry or during a play without your hat coming off? Is it just me?
Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

John,
Not a dumb question at all. Part of it is that it takes some practice, part is that it takes some work to get the harness just right, and the other part is the hats I wear under the mask are 1/8 size smaller than those I wear on the bases. I wear either a 6-stitch or an 8-stitch hat under the mask. My mask is positioned just right. My mask is also VERY loose. So loose that a foul that hits my mask with any force will make it spin and fall off - it always makes folks think I really got nailed when the looseness of the mask takes away all of the force & I don't feel a thing.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
My mask is also VERY loose. So loose that a foul that hits my mask with any force will make it spin and fall off - it always makes folks think I really got nailed when the looseness of the mask takes away all of the force & I don't feel a thing.

Yeah, I got told that a long time ago. It was some of the best advice I ever received for behind the plate info. I wear glasses and have never lost them when the mask spins. I still wear a All Star ceramic mask. It's so light it doesn't absorb much of the force of the ball. I started doing this and my neck felt a lot better after those direct hits.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Another trick is the way you put on your hat.

Don't tug the bill down last. As you put the mask on, pullng the harness over the back of your head with your right hand, pull down on the back of your hat. This insures that the harness doesn't catch on the back of your hat and pull if off when you pull it out and up with your left hand to remove it.

Roger Greene
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 04:54am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Not much elst to add, I wear mine so loose, that if I look at my feet, it almost comes off. I wear a 6-stitch hat, and don't have any problems with it comming off. And I also have my plate hats 1/6" smaller.

That brings up my biggest pet peve!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For me, it's hit or miss with ASA hats whether they fit or not when I buy them. I used to get several each year in Washington during the regional clinic cause I could try them on. ASA needs to do a better job with their sizeing.
NIF
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Del-Blue
That brings up my biggest pet peve!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For me, it's hit or miss with ASA hats whether they fit or not when I buy them. I used to get several each year in Washington during the regional clinic cause I could try them on. ASA needs to do a better job with their sizeing.
Agree - absolutely silly to try to buy ASA fitted hats by mail order. I have to try them on.

As to the original question - my mask harness has some elastic in it, so in addition to all this other fine advice, when taking off the mask, the motion is to pull OUT and then UP.

I picked up a name for my plate hats from Elaine - they are my "headache hats" - because they are one size too small.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Wow! Great advice, everyone. Thanks! I also agree about the ASA hats. I ordered two hats the same sizes, but when I tried both of them on, one felt like my brain was going to pop out and the other one I could pull over my face. Well... maybe that's exaggerating, but you get the idea.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Talking

My mask is loose also, but you have to practice with your LEFT hand taking it off in 1 motion, out and up. With a little practice, it should become a easy routine move. Oh yeah, I also wear what I call the "headache hat" which is 1/8 or 1/4 an inch smaller than my base hats depending on the weather. Hot--1/4, as it will stretch when you start sweating, 1/8 smaller in cooler weather!

[Edited by Elaine "Lady Blue" on Jan 20th, 2004 at 01:56 PM]
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

over the years I devloped a
technique of removing my mask using
two hands-- my left hand grabbing the face bar
and my right hand reaching up to hold
my hat on--- I've done it enough that
I don't even think about it when it happens !
I may have lost my hat maybe twice in
45 years at this !
Play ball !!!!
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigUmpJohn
I have a question. It's a little stupid, but how can you take off your mask in a hurry or during a play without your hat coming off? Is it just me?
Also, a technique that I have found is to treat the mask as though it is attached to a hinge on your forehead. Lift by grabbing the mask on the bottom, until the "hinge" lifts it past the bill of your cap. A little practice with this, and it will become second nature!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.