The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 19, 2001, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Men's SP game. Teams are "C" level.

R1 & R2 on second & first respetively, one out.

B3 hits fly ball to rightfielder for out two.

R2 tags properly, but R1 is off at contact with the ball. F10 fires the ball to F4 and he tags R2 late coming into second. Partner rules safe. F4 then he reiterates what the pitcher screams, "he left early" and slings the ball to F3 on first. Meanwhile R1 is meandering toward home as the defense starts heading for the dugout assuming they got two outs on the play.

"TIME!"

I ask my partner, "Bobby, what do you have?" He looks at his indicater and says, "Two outs". At that point, F4 screams, "But I appealed him leaving early, blue!" Partner goes, you're right, but the runner did not leave first early on the play. F4 says, "No, I meant the runner who started on second". Partner tells him that isn't what he indicated when he threw the ball to first and second is not my call.

Pitcher tells F4 not to worry about it because it is an automatic out, not an appeal. F4, who is a bit smarter than the pitcher, turns to me and says, "I appealed the runner leaving early". I asked him which runner and he tells me the one who started on second. Pointing at F4, I ask my partner if he touched the base while he had the ball and he responded affirmatively. I know I didn't have to do that since R1 was past third when time was called, but my partner and I were having too much fun making these guys do it right.

I then ruled the runner, who is now standing at home plate, out for leaving second early.

We heard nothing from the team leaving the dugout, but the pitcher told F4 how stupid the umpires were for not knowing the rules.

Man, what we go through to get some of these outs d:-)
Old Thu Jul 19, 2001, 01:24pm
In Memoriam

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA

We heard nothing from the team leaving the dugout, but the pitcher told F4 how stupid the umpires were for not knowing the rules.

Man, what we go through to get some of these outs d:-)
Mike,
I wish there was a way to get back at 'em when they say those weak complaints.
"Stupid is, as stupid does." - F. Gump
mick
Old Thu Jul 19, 2001, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

If appeals were made any easier, we may as well just do away with the appeal & call it automatically - like Fed used to be with a missed base... I'm kinda reminded of how absolutely stupid I thought my folks were when I was living there and how much they learned after I had grown some & moved out.