The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Mechanics: Help on a check swing

So after a lengthy discussion with some of the inner circle of my local chapter, I came to find that everyone had their own way of asking for help on a check swing. Some guys/gals would take the mask off, some would not. Some would point with the left hand, some with the right. Everyone would ask (or say nothing) in a different manner.

I officiate High School (ASA/NYSSO) and College (NCAA), so I re-read both manuals. ASA says to remove your mask, step out from behind the catcher, point to your partner and ask, "SWING?" No mention of which hand to point with. NCAA says use either hand.

My personal mechanic is a tad more exaggerated. Because I always pull the mask off with my left hand, I not only clear the catcher, but also the left handed batter's box. I'll step up, point to my partner with my right hand and ask, "Did she swing?" I even cover it in my pre-games that this is the way I will be doing it - so as not to take anyone by surprise.

I've heard some of the old guys claim that using the right hand could look like a strike call.... I don't think what I do can be confused (my opinion). They fancy the point with the left hand. My critiquing of that would be, "do you pull the mask off?" "if so, with your right hand... or do you make a transfer to right?" I suppose pointing with left, with mask in hand wouldn't be the end of the world, just seems a bit awkward.

Any thoughts on what is proper? Please share your own systems.
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Mike
So after a lengthy discussion with some of the inner circle of my local chapter, I came to find that everyone had their own way of asking for help on a check swing. Some guys/gals would take the mask off, some would not. Some would point with the left hand, some with the right. Everyone would ask (or say nothing) in a different manner.

I officiate High School (ASA/NYSSO) and College (NCAA), so I re-read both manuals. ASA says to remove your mask, step out from behind the catcher, point to your partner and ask, "SWING?" No mention of which hand to point with. NCAA says use either hand.

My personal mechanic is a tad more exaggerated. Because I always pull the mask off with my left hand, I not only clear the catcher, but also the left handed batter's box. I'll step up, point to my partner with my right hand and ask, "Did she swing?" I even cover it in my pre-games that this is the way I will be doing it - so as not to take anyone by surprise.

I've heard some of the old guys claim that using the right hand could look like a strike call.... I don't think what I do can be confused (my opinion). They fancy the point with the left hand. My critiquing of that would be, "do you pull the mask off?" "if so, with your right hand... or do you make a transfer to right?" I suppose pointing with left, with mask in hand wouldn't be the end of the world, just seems a bit awkward.

Any thoughts on what is proper? Please share your own systems.
Here is the way that it is taught in any of the ASA/TASO clinics I have attended covering the matter. Step out from behind the catcher toward BU about two or three steps, while removing the mask. Point to your partner and ask, "Partner! Swing?" (or "Offer?" on a bunt attempt.) Coincidentally, this is exactly how I do it.

By the way, I point with my right hand.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.

Last edited by Skahtboi; Wed May 24, 2006 at 08:43am.
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Why would pointing with the right hand look like a strike call? The strike signal is an upraised right closed fist.
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
Why would pointing with the right hand look like a strike call? The strike signal is an upraised right closed fist.
Watched any MLB / LL / or copycats lately? Turn and point.
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
To me, it does not. I guess it's goes along the same lines as calling obstruction with your left arm. The right arm is for strikes and outs!! (and in my case, pointing to your partner!!)
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Big Mike, what arm do you use for infield fly or which arm do you use to point fair ball down the third base line? The right arm isn't just for calling strikes and outs. Dave
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Here is the way that it is taught in any of the ASA/TASO clinics I have attended covering the matter. Step out from behind the catcher toward BU about two or three steps, while removing the mask. Point to your partner and ask, "Partner! Swing?" (or "Offer?" on a bunt attempt.) Coincidentally, this is exactly how I do it.

By the way, I point with my right hand.
I'm sure you mean "Pard-ner" as everyone is quite aware you're not asking the coach or F3 for a ruling

Meanwhile, as a matter of habit, I never use my right hand to "point" to/at anyone.
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Not critiquing the NCAA signal for those of you calling their games...

But the ASA signal is NOT a point to the right or a DDB sign given with the right arm. If you use the right signals, then you leave nothing to confusion.
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's a baseball thing I guess. Most baseball umpires point with their right hand for strikes. So they are taught when going for help on a check swing to point to their partner with their left hand. That way the crowd, coach, and score keeper will not mistake it for a late strike indication. That's the way I was taught to do it many years ago.

I step out from behind the plate removing my mask (with my left hand) as I do.
I point to my partner with my left hand (mask in hand) and say "Bob [or whatever my partner's name is] did he/she go?"
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not critiquing the NCAA signal for those of you calling their games...
What does that mean??? NCAA signals are essentially the same as ASA.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Not that it matters a hill of beans, but I really do miss the old, "DID SHE GO?"
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo
Not that it matters a hill of beans, but I really do miss the old, "DID SHE GO?"
I still say it that way......you just had to add the "old" part didn't you
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I've always learned "pointing with left, with mask in hand "