The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

No Fault Situation - June Referee Issue

Did anyone else notice the OBS piece in the June issue? There is a paragraph on no fault situations. It contradicts everything I have ever been taught at ASA umpire schools, and NFHS clinics. In short a player trying to catch a thrown ball doesn't have a the right to cause a baserunner to alter her path. I was taught this is OBS. The article is on pages N10 - N12. Thoughts? IMHO the writer is using "old school" thinking.
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Author must of missed the clinic last year. A fielder cannot OBS a runner or block a base without the ball. And the an offensive player cannot intentionally interfere with a defender trying to catch the ball. Then we have a collision play or the unintetional wreck.

Last edited by rodan55; Thu May 18, 2006 at 12:16pm.
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
There are rule books and there are Referee and other magazines, along with media commentators.
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
JF - I don't currently receive Referee...was this the wonderful Jay Miner?
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Cecil - I didn't realize a publication from NASO was equal to a media commentator? If so, I am very disappointed.

Yes, Jay Miner. What gives???
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Jay Miner is the NYS interperter, and he has, shall we say, some interesting takes on mechanics. For one example, it is now an official NY mechanic for the BU to go out and cover fly balls, witht the PU of course coming up to cover the bases. (how many of us actually do this? All I will says is 'no comment' )

A lot of his mechanics/interps are based a lot on that 'other game'...and are, needless to say, fairly controversial/debated here...
Old Fri May 19, 2006, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Jay Miner is the NYS interperter, and he has, shall we say, some interesting takes on mechanics. For one example, it is now an official NY mechanic for the BU to go out and cover fly balls, witht the PU of course coming up to cover the bases. (how many of us actually do this? All I will says is 'no comment' )

A lot of his mechanics/interps are based a lot on that 'other game'...and are, needless to say, fairly controversial/debated here...
For slow pitch ASA mech. is now having the BU go out on flies with no runners on. We didn't at the National I attended, but they did at some our umpires attended. We will be working on it, the next couple of months, with everyone in case all the UIC's go to this.
Old Fri May 19, 2006, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

I don't trust Referee since they decided a few years ago that softball was not a sport worthy of their expensive paper.

They recinded this, of course, after they found out how many of their subscribers were softball umpires. But I consider this to be a matter of money, not heart.

A friend (commmunist kickball official) started giving me his issues awhile back when he thought there was something of interest to me. I found the softball articles to be either silly or very old reprints. Don't know if they have improved since then. Don't care, either.
Old Fri May 19, 2006, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
I don't trust Referee since they decided a few years ago that softball was not a sport worthy of their expensive paper.

They recinded this, of course, after they found out how many of their subscribers were softball umpires. But I consider this to be a matter of money, not heart.

A friend (commmunist kickball official) started giving me his issues awhile back when he thought there was something of interest to me. I found the softball articles to be either silly or very old reprints. Don't know if they have improved since then. Don't care, either.
Referee? Hockey, football, basketball, soccer, boxing, wrestling. Never been a zebra on the ball diamond.
Old Fri May 19, 2006, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFA67
Cecil - I didn't realize a publication from NASO was equal to a media commentator? If so, I am very disappointed.

Yes, Jay Miner. What gives???
Neither are official rules presenters, but I guess I was a bit hard on NASO in my facetious demeaning.