The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   No Fault Situation - June Referee Issue (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/26624-no-fault-situation-june-referee-issue.html)

JFA67 Thu May 18, 2006 12:00pm

No Fault Situation - June Referee Issue

Did anyone else notice the OBS piece in the June issue? There is a paragraph on no fault situations. It contradicts everything I have ever been taught at ASA umpire schools, and NFHS clinics. In short a player trying to catch a thrown ball doesn't have a the right to cause a baserunner to alter her path. I was taught this is OBS. The article is on pages N10 - N12. Thoughts? IMHO the writer is using "old school" thinking.

rodan55 Thu May 18, 2006 12:10pm

Author must of missed the clinic last year. A fielder cannot OBS a runner or block a base without the ball. And the an offensive player cannot intentionally interfere with a defender trying to catch the ball. Then we have a collision play or the unintetional wreck.

CecilOne Thu May 18, 2006 12:27pm

There are rule books and there are Referee and other magazines, along with media commentators. :rolleyes:

ASA/NYSSOBLUE Thu May 18, 2006 08:15pm

JF - I don't currently receive Referee...was this the wonderful Jay Miner?

JFA67 Thu May 18, 2006 08:57pm

Cecil - I didn't realize a publication from NASO was equal to a media commentator? If so, I am very disappointed. :(

Yes, Jay Miner. What gives??? :confused:

ASA/NYSSOBLUE Thu May 18, 2006 10:05pm

Jay Miner is the NYS interperter, and he has, shall we say, some interesting takes on mechanics. For one example, it is now an official NY mechanic for the BU to go out and cover fly balls, witht the PU of course coming up to cover the bases. (how many of us actually do this? All I will says is 'no comment' ;) )

A lot of his mechanics/interps are based a lot on that 'other game'...and are, needless to say, fairly controversial/debated here...

rodan55 Fri May 19, 2006 12:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Jay Miner is the NYS interperter, and he has, shall we say, some interesting takes on mechanics. For one example, it is now an official NY mechanic for the BU to go out and cover fly balls, witht the PU of course coming up to cover the bases. (how many of us actually do this? All I will says is 'no comment' ;) )

A lot of his mechanics/interps are based a lot on that 'other game'...and are, needless to say, fairly controversial/debated here...

For slow pitch ASA mech. is now having the BU go out on flies with no runners on. We didn't at the National I attended, but they did at some our umpires attended. We will be working on it, the next couple of months, with everyone in case all the UIC's go to this.

Dakota Fri May 19, 2006 09:25am

I don't trust Referee since they decided a few years ago that softball was not a sport worthy of their expensive paper.

They recinded this, of course, after they found out how many of their subscribers were softball umpires. But I consider this to be a matter of money, not heart.

A friend (commmunist kickball official) started giving me his issues awhile back when he thought there was something of interest to me. I found the softball articles to be either silly or very old reprints. Don't know if they have improved since then. Don't care, either.

rodan55 Fri May 19, 2006 12:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota
I don't trust Referee since they decided a few years ago that softball was not a sport worthy of their expensive paper.

They recinded this, of course, after they found out how many of their subscribers were softball umpires. But I consider this to be a matter of money, not heart.

A friend (commmunist kickball official) started giving me his issues awhile back when he thought there was something of interest to me. I found the softball articles to be either silly or very old reprints. Don't know if they have improved since then. Don't care, either.

Referee? Hockey, football, basketball, soccer, boxing, wrestling. Never been a zebra on the ball diamond.

CecilOne Fri May 19, 2006 12:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFA67
Cecil - I didn't realize a publication from NASO was equal to a media commentator? If so, I am very disappointed. :(

Yes, Jay Miner. What gives??? :confused:

Neither are official rules presenters, but I guess I was a bit hard on NASO in my facetious demeaning.