The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Red face Count on Batter

Runner on 2nd. The count is 2balls one Strike. Umpire says Strike Three on the next pitch.The catcher throws the ball towards the pitchers plate and the runner adavances to third. The coach says that was only strike two. Should the runner be sent back to second

ump mac
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccann
Runner on 2nd. The count is 2balls one Strike. Umpire says Strike Three on the next pitch.The catcher throws the ball towards the pitchers plate and the runner adavances to third. The coach says that was only strike two. Should the runner be sent back to second
You did not say if there were two outs. If there were, and if the umpire put the defense at a disadvantage, I believe the runner should be sent back. I think there are many that would say the defense has the responsibility to know the count. I don't feel that would be true in this case.

If the erroneous third strike call had no effect on the runner's steal of third, I don't believe there is precidence to send the runner back.
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccann
Umpire says Strike Three on the next pitch.
For this reason, and a few others, I only call balls and strikes, I don't call numbers.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue
For this reason, and a few others, I only call balls and strikes, I don't call numbers.
But do you call "batter is out" on a caught third strike or and uncaught with no BR attempt allowed?
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
But do you call "batter is out" on a caught third strike or and uncaught with no BR attempt allowed?
Nope. I just call 'ball' or 'strike'. I probably do announce the count between pitches a little more than most of the partners I with which I work, so my catcher and batter, for the most part (not always), know the count on every pitch.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
If the retired batter starts toward 1B? Absolutely
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
If the retired batter starts toward 1B? Absolutely
I assume you would and I know I do. My point was whether even w/o saying "three", MNBlue would give any other indication and if mistaken might end up with the same problem as the OP.
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Before I started announcing the count (basically just loud enough for the catcher/batter) as often as I do, I would have problems and would have to let the batter know that was 'three' or 'two' or 'ball four', etc. Now that I am sharing the count more often, I rarely have the problem.

My concern is in the heat of the play I mis-state the correct number of strikes and confuse a player. So I have chosen to announce numbers between pitches and call 'ball' or 'strike' only after the pitch has been thrown.

Just in case you were wondering, my concern about a mis-statement of fact is a result of doing exactly that. Some lessons are learned after making mistakes.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA