The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Varsity FED game. I am BU. B1 1st at bat hits a single and sends his bat past the ear of PU as he releases it. B1 is now R1. PU calls time and warns R1 and coach if R1 throws bat again, R1 wil be ejected. 3rd inning, same B1 comes to plate. With a 2-1 count, B1 hits a long foul ball and the bat hits PU in the foot as he lets it go to run. PU tosses B1 and tells coach to get a batter in to replace B1 who has been ejected. Does B2 ( the replacement batter )assume the count of 2-2 that was on the ejected B1? That is what the PU did. I was not consulted. I would like to know if that is the case, what FED rule supports that theory.

Thanks in advance.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

No rule book in front of me, but...

What else would you do? The only logical course is to have the replacement batter truly replace, count an dall.
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by officialtony
Varsity FED game. I am BU. B1 1st at bat hits a single and sends his bat past the ear of PU as he releases it. B1 is now R1. PU calls time and warns R1 and coach if R1 throws bat again, R1 wil be ejected. 3rd inning, same B1 comes to plate. With a 2-1 count, B1 hits a long foul ball and the bat hits PU in the foot as he lets it go to run. PU tosses B1 and tells coach to get a batter in to replace B1 who has been ejected. Does B2 ( the replacement batter )assume the count of 2-2 that was on the ejected B1? That is what the PU did. I was not consulted. I would like to know if that is the case, what FED rule supports that theory.

Thanks in advance.
Carelessly slinging a bat should be a team warning.
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

"...and the bat hits PU in the foot as he lets it go to run."

That sounds to me like the batter DROPPED the bat. Dropping is NOT throwing.

Bob
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

It's essentially a substitution. When a substitute batter comes in for a batter already at bat, he assumes the count. You don't seriously need a rule citation for that, do you?
Old Sat May 28, 2005, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Seriously ...

Quote:
Originally posted by officialtony

Thanks in advance.
You mean in Varsity FED ball we have a PU calling a BR out because he hit him in the foot with the bat.

What a little baby - is he going to eject the F2 when he gets hit with the ball.

I would wonder what rule he is using to back up his actions - throwing a bat is covered in the rules, releasing the bat following a hit ball is not unless it is intentional.

At most a warning would suffice until I have something a little more flagrant.

Thanks
David
Old Sat May 28, 2005, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Re: Seriously ...

Quote:
Originally posted by David B
[BI would wonder what rule he is using to back up his actions - throwing a bat is covered in the rules, releasing the bat following a hit ball is not unless it is intentional. [/B]
Assuming that B1 "threw" the bat, then 3-3-1b would seem to apply.

It was applied correctly in the first case (when the warning was given). It may have been correct in the second (ejection), depending on the umpire's perspective of the action.

Old Tue May 31, 2005, 06:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Peruvian Send a message via Yahoo to Peruvian
"PU calls time and warns R1 and coach if R1 throws bat again, R1 wil be ejected"

Looks like he warned him to me.
Old Tue May 31, 2005, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

At Bat Batter Ejected

In all of the leagues where I umpire the batter is not ejected...but after a team warning for the first batter slinging the bat, any subsequent batter who does so is not ejected but called out (unless there is some sort of malicious intent that would get him ejected as well). So in my case I usually just get an out. Buy the way, I do not know what the federation rules say about this.