The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

We had a relatively unusual occurance in my daughters game this evening. The girls in this league are in the 12-14 year old range.

The situation is our team had a runner on third with two outs. The batter hits a fly toward the right fielder and initially does not run out the hit. The fielder attempts to make a play but drops the ball. The runner then takes off for first and is called out, however the runner on third crossed the plate before the third out is called. Does the run count?

Thanks for any thoughts in advance.
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

To answer your question, no. The BR must reach first base and all other Rs forced to do so must advance at least one base to have a time play come into effect. In your stitch, the BR never reached first, so no run.

My question back is why was the BR called out? The ball was dropped, so that's not it. You didn't say she entered the dugout. I can't believe she possibly interfered with the right fielder's play. So I have seen nothing to call her out on yet.

-Josh
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

My apologies. The hitter was thrown out at first. The runner at third did cross the plate before the out was called at first.
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by illini85
My apologies. The hitter was thrown out at first. The runner at third did cross the plate before the out was called at first.
You were given the answer. The BR did not reach base safely. No run.

Bob
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the reply!! What a great forum. I'm going to forward the link to our other coaches as well as read through other posts over the coming days/weeks to learn what I can about the game and it's rules. Thanks again.
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

illini - just ask them not to come on here and post that the hands are part of the bat!

Welcome to the board.
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Wink

I'll make a mental note of that...
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
to illini 85 it sounds like your from the same area i am and i had that exact same play last night which gets me thinking you were involved in the same game i was. If your game was in downs IL then i must concede that i erred greatly and for that i apologize. You can like you said get a lot of questions answered here and learn a great deal. Have a great season
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Dylan:

Actually I'm near the Springfield, IL area so it's not your game at all. I wasn't upset (and certainly not as much as most of the parents) b/c I was not 100% sure of the rules, and the high school kids umpiring had no clue why I questioned their call. I'm certainly not holding a grudge. Just wanted to know the correct ruling in case it happened again.

Steve