The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Speaking of Mercy Rules

As I noted in the other thread of this same topic, NYS has a 15 run rule after 5. HOWEVER, it doesn not apply to what NY calls 'modified' level - i.e., 7th & 8th grade games . This, of course forments a potential for some very UGLY games. However, more and more, we have been trying to get coaches to agree to a 'handshake' mercy rule of 15 after after 5, or two hours, whichever happens first! So here is a situation I had early this year, and I would appreciate any and all comments:

Team A is the home team, and Team B is the visitors. Both coaches agree prior to the game for the 15 run rule after 5. Both coaches, as is the norm in this level, are fairly new. Team A is a far superior team, its obvious that some of the kids have played not only a year or so of school ball, but also play summer ball . Team B looks like that 90% of the kids have played maybe 2 or 3 GAMES in their lives..literally swinging at anything, bad throws, the whole bit. Team B also had come on the same bus as their modified baseball team (imagine THAT bus?).

We finish T5 with Team A up something like 25-0, I assume naturally that the game is over and start off the field, roling the balls towards the home team.....well.....Team B's coach comes over, and says " Oh..we decided to keep playing...we have to wait for the baseball game to be done anyways..." So I pick up the game balls,say nothing, and we continue, Team A tacking another 5 or 6 runs on their lead of ycourse. THEN ,when Team B's coach comes out for B6, I pull her aside, and tell her, as nicely and subtly as possible, about how going beyond the 'handshake ' puts not only her kids, but the school at risk. I literally had to spell everything out to her - apparently the word 'liability' was not in her vocabulary! FINALLY a light went on in her head, we let her kids take their three quick AB's, and got the hell out of there.

Did I handle this properly? should I have:

A. Just have left after the 4 1/2? ( I felt at the time that would have looked REAL bad..)

B. Been more direct to Team B's coach after B5? ("Coach lets end this NOW")

C. Say nothing, and let them play as long as they wanted?

I feel I handled it as fairly as possible, without looking like I wanted to go home early.

any other options I might have employed?
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Did I handle this properly? should I have:
B - (Coach, lets end this now!) followed by A - (rolls balls and leave).

Let the SB team go watch the BB game. That might be getting over early also!

Quote:
(Imagine THAT bus?)

Been there, done that. Around here competing schools send their varsity teams to one school, and host the JV teams. Only one bus is needed. That works well with varsity players; they are mature enough to study, chat, or even listen to coaches. But sub-varsity . . . . . . . . !

I coached JV ball. While it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience, the bus rides were hell. Imagine 30 teenagers (age 14/15) in the springtime - on a bus for up to an hour. Oh, we put up barriors - coaches and equipment in the middle seats; girls in front and boys in back. But that didn't stop them from talking, yelling, singing, and acting out to each other. It was like an hour long mating call.

And when our game was over we kept the post-game review to a minimum as they weren't listenening anyway. They couldn't wait to get to the baseball diamond and watch the boys!

WMB
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE
(imagine THAT bus?).
I don't have to imagine it, I was on it - 25 years ago anyway! Like WMB mentioned, around here the boys & girls ride the same bus to away games. It was pretty much like he describes. Now my daughter is riding that bus, and she says the girls are way rowdier than the boys.
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

I believe I would have told the coaches that the "handshake agreement" was part of the ground rules, and once agreed to can't be changed. Then tell them, the game is officialy over, but you coaches can play as much extra "scrimmage" as you want!

I remember a 3 1/2 hr middle school baseball game that was being played with run rules, but the only way we got out of the top of three was home coach agreed not to score any runs in the bottom if the visiting coach would concede his last two outs! They did this on their own. I think every kid on the home team had pitched, and if they didn't walk the batters, they hit 'em! It was ugly.

God Bless Run Rules!
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEL
I believe I would have told the coaches that the "handshake agreement" was part of the ground rules, and once agreed to can't be changed. Then tell them, the game is officialy over, but you coaches can play as much extra "scrimmage" as you want!
I agree with the sentiment; but careful with that particular advice, Buddy.

In our state, if they continued to scrimmage, that would be an illegal practice.
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

You've got to be more careful than you think here.

The game was officially over when your agreed upon ground rules said it was. Anything after that can be against state or local rules regarding scrimmages or practices, and any insurance covering either you or the players COULD be null and void if you choose to umpire the rest of the contest. I would not continue to umpire, and I would not give any advice as to what they do with their extra time.

And this doesn't even touch on the extremely problematical situation you get yourself into if the team that is way ahead decides to use what they think is "off the clock" innings to practice pitchers or players. All of a sudden, it's 25-15 and things are getting hairy, and the team previously leading says, "Wait a minute, this game was over an inning ago, we're just practicing", while the other team thinks otherwise.

Advice - Just Don't Go There.
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
I agree with the sentiment; but careful with that particular advice, Buddy.

In our state, if they continued to scrimmage, that would be an illegal practice.

Yeah that's true. Hadn't thought of that, but it would be their problem! Maybe just tell 'em Bye!