The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 08, 2001, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Question

hey officials what is the rule in your state on games ended early. In Kansas 8 man football has a mercy rule in the second half of games of 45 point spread. what is your state's policy?
Old Fri Jun 08, 2001, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

In Florida, 30 points in the second half = running clock.

I did have, on one occasion long ago, an unusual game ending situation. One team was down to only ten players due to injury. In the second play of the third quarter, another player went down, leaving them with only nine and trailing by 60 points or so. The coach and the boys didn't want to forfeit by quitting before playing four quarters, and the coach of the team ahead didn't want to continue beating the pulp out of them, so we came up with this solution: According to the rules, any quarter may be shortened by mutual agreement of the opposing coaches and the referee. We had already had two plays in the third quarter, so we agreed to shorten the third quarter to - you guessed it - two plays. We then turned everyone around and the nine-man defense stopped a "quarterback sneak" for no gain, in the first, last, and only play of the fourth quarter. The game was complete (four quarters) and we all went home satisfied that we had done the right thing.
Old Sat Jun 09, 2001, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Same in California. 45 points in second half. There must be a second half kick off before rule goes into effect.

Bob
Old Sat Jun 09, 2001, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Mercy

We had a game like that last year. The visiting team showed up (I mean the bus entered the parking lot) at game time. We finally got the game started 50 minutes late. The home team trainer had do tape the visitors, they didn't bring so much as roll of tape.
In the fourth quarter, the visitors behind by 35 points, I as head linesman, asked the head coach if it would be alright to run the clock. In Indiana, we have to have consent from both coaches to run the clock. His reply was "No, man, we came down here to play football." After another series, during which the losing team threw three incomplete passes, (It's now almost 10:00 pm and we're just starting the 4th quarter!) We ran the clock anyway. The coach complained and said that he was going to report us to the state. I told him that he could, but then we'd have to report him and his team for being an hour late. Needless to say we were late gettint home that night, but it gives me another war story to tell.
Old Mon Jun 11, 2001, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Run clock in 2nd half if lead is 35 pts in Maryland ... but
I have a question for you guys:

If the losing team manages to get back to within 35 points
of their opponents, we go back to normal timimg until the
lead is grater than 35. Do you do this in your state? I'd
rather up the threshold to 40 and never go revert back and
forth between the two. I had a game last year where we were
playing ping pong with the clock administration. Just a pain
in the butt.
Old Tue Jun 12, 2001, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeke5
Run clock in 2nd half if lead is 35 pts in Maryland ... but
I have a question for you guys:

If the losing team manages to get back to within 35 points
of their opponents, we go back to normal timimg until the
lead is grater than 35. Do you do this in your state? I'd
rather up the threshold to 40 and never go revert back and
forth between the two. I had a game last year where we were
playing ping pong with the clock administration. Just a pain
in the butt.
In Illinois it must be a lead of 40 points at the half and we never revert back and I LOVE it! With the method in your state, I can only imagine the nightmare the clock operator has!
Old Tue Jun 19, 2001, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

KY Joining the crowd

I have heard the KY is implementing a mercy rule also, but with a new wrinkle. I am not sure about all this but I heard there will be an option to run the clock, or end the game, depending on possible agreement of coaches, and/or period of play where the 45 point margin is reached. Still waiting for official word from the KHSAA.
Old Sun Jun 24, 2001, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

In West Virginia, we do not have a mercy rule. We use the NFHS rules for shortening or terminating games. Our local association has discussed a mercy rule being put into effect, but until our state association adopts such a procedure, we will have to let the coaches agree on shortening the contest. It is interesting hearing what other states do in these lopsided situations.
Old Fri Jul 06, 2001, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

In Pennsylvania, 35 point advantage in second half, the clock runs, we do not revert normal timing if advantage becomes less than 35 points.
Old Sat Jul 07, 2001, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

In NC, there is no mercy rule.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jul 07, 2001, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Run Clock?

Do you Tarheels run the clock late in blowouts? We don't have an official mercy rule in Indiana, but most coaches are willing to shorten the game when it gets out of hand. There's no sense embarassing kids more than necessary.
Old Sat Jul 07, 2001, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Unofficially, if the coach who's taking the whipping wants the clock to run, we usually let it run in the 4th qtr. But once, I recall that a coach wanted a normal clock. That was a long night! It even started out wrong. 1 minute and 9 seconds into the game, it was 14-0.

63-7. Sheesh!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jul 10, 2001, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to camaulds
Michigan

In Michigan we have a running clock in the second half when the difference in score is 35 points or greater...When the score drops under 35 we resume normal timing...Timers have been doing it this way for several years so the confusion seems to have subsided...No doubt as States adopt the running clock and keep it unchanged for several years the confusion on when to have the running clock will fade away.
Old Tue Jul 24, 2001, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Hope we never get the mercy rule

As one fellow already said, we have no mercy rule in West Virginia. I hope we never do...

I've worked games where teams came back and won, being down 25 points in the fourth period... and I've read about even bigger comebacks.

If some erstwhile coach gets his jollies in beating a team 70-3, I'll leave him to the court of public opinion. Although not sanctioned by any rule-making body, there is such a thing as "calling every foul" which can get a coach back in line without ever saying a word. He'll get the message...and you will be able to stand by your calls... "hey, I just had a good night nailing fouls, man."

Besides... it's one thing to get humiliated 70-3... it seems to me that at the varsity level it would be an even worse humbling to have a clock wasting time that the losing team is entitled to. Seems to me like it would be more honorable to say, "we're going to stop the game, because we're totally outclassed" ...and forfeit, than to make a travesty of the game...which is what the running clock is.

Just my opinion....
Old Tue Jul 24, 2001, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

If the running clock rule was to be used ( it was used as a trial bases in Kansas for half of a basketball season) it would have to be used properly. At the time at which at team was behind by a certain amount or more roll the clock -- if they close the gap go back to normal clock. It isnt like this would be difficult for the clock keeper, he would only have to possibly switch back and forth once or twice that is it.
i believe now kansas has the rule if both adminstrators agree before the game begins we would run clock versus the now present end the game after a point spread of 45 in the 2nd half( all this is for 8 man football of course)