The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 23, 2004, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

I'm curious as to what other states are doing (other than in NJ). Every year (as most of you do) we are asked by our organization to put in suggestions for new rules, either to the NFHS or to our state for state adoptions. I'm curious as to what the mercy rules are for other states with respect to making the clock a running clock.

We had a 48-0 at halftime and eventually a 62-6 contest. I was the R and ran the clock on extra points, after incompletes, OOB, etc. It was almost obnoxious running the clock the way I did and both coaches gave kudos to us for how we actually ran it. The losing coach wasn't completing any passes, yet went to a no-huddle and ran qb draw, qb draw, qb draw most of the day. It was horrible for the kids. The winning coach felt absolutely horrible and he even apologized afte the game which he didn't have to do. He's a 31-year coach and ran the ball between the tackles most of the game and never once passed in the 2nd half with his 3rd and 4th teams. And, they STILL scored a couple of TDs in the 2nd half.

I'm just curious as to what some of the guidelines are.
Old Sat Oct 23, 2004, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

New rule in Iowa this year, which most seem to like.

If a team, at any point during the game, gets a lead of 35 points or more, the rule kicks in.
Running clock, starting on R's touching of KO, and it only stops for a TD, TO, or extended injury. It runs on incomplete passes, OOB's plays, during penalty enforcements and everything. If the game gets below 35 points, it goes back to normal timing unless you get to 35 again.

Before this year we had a 50 point rule in which the game ended. This is better.
Old Sat Oct 23, 2004, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Take a look at this link: http://www.nfhs.org/staticcontent/PD...all_survey.pdf

Items #17 and #18.
It's a 2003 survey published in 2004, so there could be changes for 2004 that will not be reflected.
Old Sat Oct 23, 2004, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ljudge
I'm curious as to what other states are doing (other than in NJ). Every year (as most of you do) we are asked by our organization to put in suggestions for new rules, either to the NFHS or to our state for state adoptions. I'm curious as to what the mercy rules are for other states with respect to making the clock a running clock.

We had a 48-0 at halftime and eventually a 62-6 contest. I was the R and ran the clock on extra points, after incompletes, OOB, etc. It was almost obnoxious running the clock the way I did and both coaches gave kudos to us for how we actually ran it. The losing coach wasn't completing any passes, yet went to a no-huddle and ran qb draw, qb draw, qb draw most of the day. It was horrible for the kids. The winning coach felt absolutely horrible and he even apologized afte the game which he didn't have to do. He's a 31-year coach and ran the ball between the tackles most of the game and never once passed in the 2nd half with his 3rd and 4th teams. And, they STILL scored a couple of TDs in the 2nd half.

NFHS leaves it up to each state to decide on mercy rules (3-1-2). Also, both coaches can agree to shorten periods (3-1-3). Non-school leagues can certainly adopt whatever procedures they want.

In ND we have a 30-pt differential in the 2nd half. The clock continues to run on incomplete passes, out of bounds and during the try. My experience is that it doesn't shorten the game by much. It is better than the old 45-pt rule which terminated the game. At least now, more kids get to play.
Old Sun Oct 24, 2004, 09:38am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
Quote:
Originally posted by ljudge

NFHS leaves it up to each state to decide on mercy rules (3-1-2). Also, both coaches can agree to shorten periods (3-1-3). Non-school leagues can certainly adopt whatever procedures they want.

In ND we have a 30-pt differential in the 2nd half. The clock continues to run on incomplete passes, out of bounds and during the try. My experience is that it doesn't shorten the game by much. It is better than the old 45-pt rule which terminated the game. At least now, more kids get to play.
Friday night my crew trekked down to Illinois to work a HS soph/varsity DH in the wind and rain. 68-0 sophomore game (it was 24-0 after 1:10) and 60-14 in the varsity game.

The fourth quarters of both games could've been eliminated and the games would've been better.

--Rich
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

We have a similar rule as MJT...35 point spread = running clock, but we can't start our running clock until after the half. It works well, as I haven't had a 60-something point game yet...knock on wood.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 08:01am
Ref Ump Welsch

MJT,

The Iowa rule only kicks in after halftime, not any point in the game. I agree it's a better rule than the 50 point rule was. Allows some of the "worse" teams to play a whole game instead of just half a game or 3 quarters.