The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
partner talking to coach about my call

This weekend I was working a fast pitch tournnament. I had a close tag play at second and I believe I got it right. I was working with a experienced umpire who I had never worked with before. After the game while we were waiting for the next game among 8-10 other umpires, this umpire was telling everyone there this story about the game. He said that the assistant coach came up to him after the assistant coach had approached me and wanted the PU to help me out on this particular call that he thought I'd missed. The PU told him that he was a lot further from the play than me so I had a better look, to which the coach responded it was still a bad call. The PU then told him that it was a bad call but..... This conversation in the changing room was all in my hearing. My question is, how should of I responded to him? Say something then (which would probably be about as bad as he did) or wait and talk to him privately? I think he erred on 2 counts. 1 telling the coach that, and 2 telling all the fellow umpires about it also. Let me know. Dave
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

In many walks of life, there are people who are so challenged with their own vision of their incompetence that they feel the need to make others look bad; in their mind, that makes them look good, in comparison.

You just met one. Personally, I would let everyone know that, right or wrong on the call, and relatively inexperienced, to boot, at least you didn't sell out another umpire; either on the field or in the changing room.
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

I think your partner just put some doubts about himself into the minds of the other umpires. Don't think many would want to work with him. You might want to say something in passing the next time you see him. I wouldn't sweat it as you were in position and confident in your call.
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Steve, I wouldn't consider myself relatively inexperienced, although I am always looking for ways to improve my game. I have been umpiring HS ball for 10 years and have been chosen to do our HS State tournament the past 2 years. Summer ball for more years than that. But for sure thanks for the input. Dave