The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

ASA maximum arc on a pitched ball.......

is now 10 feet. What do you think about that? I think it will be easier to enforce because I can relate to 10 feet better than the previous 12 feet. Pitchers may 8itch, but, they'll have to adjust.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking as an ASA umpire who only calls SP... I think we'll see a lot of pitchers who will try to push the 10' arc as much as they used to do with the 12' arc, but they will get away with less. 10' is much easier to judge than 12', as we have more things with which to relate to 10'. I think we'll see a lot more curveballs and grooved pitches, and I think we'll see a lot of jamming of the batters' inside corners on a greater variety of levels than before.

As an added reaction, I think we'll also see a slightly wider outside corner from the Plate Umpires. Nothing too drastic, of course, but another inch or two.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Jan 18, 2010, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

My opinion on this:

The players took the top end of the pitch away, so let's give them back the corners of the plate.

Old Mon Jan 18, 2010, 02:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Speaking as an ASA umpire who only calls SP... I think we'll see a lot of pitchers who will try to push the 10' arc as much as they used to do with the 12' arc, but they will get away with less. 10' is much easier to judge than 12', as we have more things with which to relate to 10'. I think we'll see a lot more curveballs and grooved pitches, and I think we'll see a lot of jamming of the batters' inside corners on a greater variety of levels than before.

As an added reaction, I think we'll also see a slightly wider outside corner from the Plate Umpires. Nothing too drastic, of course, but another inch or two.
You are right NCASAUmp, the pitchers will try to push it, esp with a 2 strike count on a batter. I guess we should expect that. I'm all for expanding the "zone" (within reason) because it is a hitter's game.
Good luck this year.
Old Mon Jan 18, 2010, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
My opinion on this:

The players took the top end of the pitch away, so let's give them back the corners of the plate.

How can I give back something I've never taken away, just like the 6' pitch?