The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
OBS...Did I Do This One Right?

Last night in a T-ball game ...2 outs, girl on 2nd base....Last batter comes up to the plate. (In T-ball the defense must bring the ball to the plate on last batter to end the inning.) Here's what happened > The last batter hits a grounder to the 1st base side of the field. The runner on 2nd is about half way to 3rd when she was badly obstructed and had to almost stop running because a fielder got directly in her way and even bumped into her. As she continued to run she rounded 3rd and was about half way to the plate when the boy that fielded the ball touched the plate to end the inning.

Here's what I ruled...> I said the run does not count as the OBS only protected her to 3rd base and IMO the OBS cost her no more than 10 feet. I explained to the coach had his runner been less than 10 feet from home plate when the fielder touched the plate I would have called her safe because the OBS. ... Did I use the correct metric of the rules, and make the correct call? ... Al
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Don't use the "X number of feet" or "she lost 2 steps" idea. Here's what you're looking for.

AT THE MOMENT of the obstruction, you determine where a runner would have gotten to. If you, AT THAT MOMENT, felt he/she wouldn't have scored, then you ruled correctly. If you, AT THAT MOMENT, felt he/she would have scored, then (nearly) regardless of what else happens, you've protected them (and will award them if necessary) to home. There are a few "post-obstruction" events that you can use to alter your original award, but it doesn't sound like any of them apply here (and that's probably a separate post).

Also - don't explain the rule to the coach using a "X number of feet" idea either ... or one of us will have to unexplain it to him when he's coaching 12U.
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

still trying to absorb the concept of umpires in T-ball
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
still trying to absorb the concept of umpires in T-ball
Well, let's put it this way LMan... we have two different leagues for T-Ball teams. (Turner field), and (youth center). The fields are 5 miles apart, but there is a world of difference in what takes place at the two parks. The (youth center) uses no umpires. Instead, a coach from each team makes safe or out calls. They also have no standard defense positions. They simply put most of the fielders in an ark lined up from the circle to the base lines keeping all of them about 35 feet from the batter. Three kids play behind this arc in the outfield. The kids hit the ball off the Tee and they all run after it. They keep score but only 5 runs per half-inning are allowed, although the kids all continue hitting until every batter on the team bats. I have observed that no one cares if they touch the bases, etc. or not. I've had several moms over the last several weeks come up to me and say (Turner Field) is so much better. They like the kids to learn the basics while they play, they like the kids having the option to hit pitched balls, and they like having an official umpire. It cost the same to join either league. If I were one of these parents here in TN. I know what league I would want my kids to join if I was informed of the difference. Just go watch a game from each league and see how much of an improvement it is to have more of the basic rules of the game in place, and having the rules really mean something. It's about the kids having fun, while learning at the same time. I believe even 5 and 6 year old's like to be treated like the bigger kids. And they will never see an arc of kids across any other infield, or see teams playing with no umpire. JMO... Al
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Hey, Im not fussing. Im just amazed.

Here its kinda a blend of what you describe. No (official) umps, but the kidz at least start in the proper positions (before they all chase after the ball ) and the basics are taught. Umping is done by coaches or parents, and no one gets too uptight about the outcome.
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
Don't use the "X number of feet" or "she lost 2 steps" idea. Here's what you're looking for.

AT THE MOMENT of the obstruction, you determine where a runner would have gotten to. If you, AT THAT MOMENT, felt he/she wouldn't have scored, then you ruled correctly. If you, AT THAT MOMENT, felt he/she would have scored, then (nearly) regardless of what else happens, you've protected them (and will award them if necessary) to home. There are a few "post-obstruction" events that you can use to alter your original award, but it doesn't sound like any of them apply here (and that's probably a separate post).

Also - don't explain the rule to the coach using a "X number of feet" idea either ... or one of us will have to unexplain it to him when he's coaching 12U.
Got it! ...Thanks! At the moment of the OBS there was no way to determine if she would have beaten the fielder to the plate. Some of the kids run really slow and others fly. In this case the fielder was fast and the runner was slow. But after I seen how far short she was I knew for sure she would not have made it to the plate before the fielder, even if there was no OBS. I'll remember to never give X number of feet to any coach, but depending on the sitch just say to any inquiring coach "she would, or would not, have made it had the obstruction not accured. ...Nothin' like fun at the ole' ball park! ...Al
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
Hey, Im not fussing. Im just amazed.

Here its kinda a blend of what you describe. No (official) umps, but the kidz at least start in the proper positions (before they all chase after the ball ) and the basics are taught. Umping is done by coaches or parents, and no one gets too uptight about the outcome.
Well, what you have is a lot better that what the "youth league" has here. But I would still prefer to have an official umpire rather than parents or coaches making judgment calls or rulings. I know the purpose of the youth league is to have very little via competition and I do understand to some extent because they are only 5 and 6 year old kids. But I think their whole premise is wrong. .... They must reason... if the game is set up where competition is almost non existent, then coaches or fans won't ever go over the top at a T-ball game, and maybe a child's feelings won't be hurt. But IMO that's a game where it's more of a practice than a game. Some think no score should be kept at all at this level...not me! But, don't get me wrong I don't think the coaches, parents, etc. should want to win so much that they lose their head and become bad examples to the kids. As the season goes on I hear more and more of the kids asking me who's winning. I don't think that's a bad thing even at this age. I usually say "it's a good game and we won't know till it's over", but if your team doesn't win this one you'll just have to try to get them next time. ...Thanks, ...Al