The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

LBR and Site Admin Issues

I'm a second year umpire but this is my first year doing fast pitch. I'd like some advice about something I encountered last night doing a JV game, and it's a two part question. Here's the situation: Visiting team at bat, two outs, R1 on first base and B hits a double, advancing R1 to third base. I'm the PU and I'm up the line when the ball comes back in and is returned to the pitcher. I'm watching R1 as I head back behind the plate.

As the next batter is coming up to the plate, I hear some ranting and raving coming from the score booth. This was a nice field with an elevated booth, so I'm 100% positive that it's coming from up over my head rather than from one of the few spectators standing in the general area behind home plate. Their problem was that they felt that the BR now on second base should have been called out for not returning to second base quickly enough when the pitcher had the ball in the circle.

The first part of my question deals with my responsibility in that situation. As the PU, should I be looking at all runners rather than just the lead runner in that situation? My partner informed me in our postgame meeting that he saw the BR on second "dancing around" but for whatever reason he did not call her out.

The second part of my question deals with handling the dissension from inside the score booth. I'll tell you how I handled it and you can offer feedback. Between innings I verified with my partner (an experienced umpire) that it was within my responsibility to inform the booth that while they were working they were to remain impartial observers. I also told him the reason for the outburst. He assured me that it was fine to remind them, so during this same half inning I went to the backstop and as quietly as I could (considering they were set back 15 feet and elevated another 12 feet) I gave them that reminder. Here's the problem...the voice I heard was a woman's voice, and the scorekeeper/announcer is male. After I'm done with my 5-10 second reminder, lo and behold a woman sticks her head up in the booth. Turns out it's the assistant AD who is also the site administration for this game. She was the one doing the ranting and raving. She didn't say anything and we had no further problems the rest of the game. If it makes any difference, this wasn't a short, quiet comment she made, but rather her screaming about the umpires "not knowing the rules" until the home team secured the third out in the inning. By the way, I did not include this incident in my game report...was I right in omitting it?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/comments!!
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Q#1. Good mechanics include observing all runners until BU is in position and then BU watching all runners while PU is returning to the plate and thereafter. Either can call a RCR (aka LBR) violation by either runner.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Q #2. Reminder to the scorer is ok. If the screamer is the site admin, not necessary to be neutral, but is expected to be setting the example of behavior and controlling everyone else not participating. That means, a quiet question relayed through the coach if the admin believes something was wrong, not screaming and not degrading. The "screaming about the umpires "not knowing the rules" until the home team secured the third out in the inning" is totally unacceptable, even if correct about the non-call.

Can't answer about game reports, associations/jursidictions have different possibilities.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Just a note. There is no "required" speed in which a runner must return to the base as long as there isn't a second stop/pause or a reversal in their action.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Cecil gave the right answer to your first question - somebody needs to be watching the runners on base between batters. As PU, stay where you are when the play is completed, wait for your partner to return to position, then return behind the plate. I always tell my partners to make eye contact with me when ready so that we both do not have our backs to the players at the same time.

As far as the second question - I would definitely report the site administrators actions to whoever you file your game report with. The site administrator is there to deal with issues outside the field, not contribute to them. A quiet reminder to the site adminstrator wouldn't hurt, either.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

There is one field I'm at frequently that has a concession stand right behind the plate, with the second story being the scorer's area. Quite often the scorer will complain about things including pitches. (Amazing that he can tell they're too low when he is 20 feet off the ground.)

He thinks he is doing play-by-play, announcing the count, stating things like "good play by the pitcher from either team" and of course announcing each batter by name. He is always professional on the mike, but likes to fuss otherwise. When he's not on the mike, I just consider him another fan and ignore him.