View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

LBR and Site Admin Issues

I'm a second year umpire but this is my first year doing fast pitch. I'd like some advice about something I encountered last night doing a JV game, and it's a two part question. Here's the situation: Visiting team at bat, two outs, R1 on first base and B hits a double, advancing R1 to third base. I'm the PU and I'm up the line when the ball comes back in and is returned to the pitcher. I'm watching R1 as I head back behind the plate.

As the next batter is coming up to the plate, I hear some ranting and raving coming from the score booth. This was a nice field with an elevated booth, so I'm 100% positive that it's coming from up over my head rather than from one of the few spectators standing in the general area behind home plate. Their problem was that they felt that the BR now on second base should have been called out for not returning to second base quickly enough when the pitcher had the ball in the circle.

The first part of my question deals with my responsibility in that situation. As the PU, should I be looking at all runners rather than just the lead runner in that situation? My partner informed me in our postgame meeting that he saw the BR on second "dancing around" but for whatever reason he did not call her out.

The second part of my question deals with handling the dissension from inside the score booth. I'll tell you how I handled it and you can offer feedback. Between innings I verified with my partner (an experienced umpire) that it was within my responsibility to inform the booth that while they were working they were to remain impartial observers. I also told him the reason for the outburst. He assured me that it was fine to remind them, so during this same half inning I went to the backstop and as quietly as I could (considering they were set back 15 feet and elevated another 12 feet) I gave them that reminder. Here's the problem...the voice I heard was a woman's voice, and the scorekeeper/announcer is male. After I'm done with my 5-10 second reminder, lo and behold a woman sticks her head up in the booth. Turns out it's the assistant AD who is also the site administration for this game. She was the one doing the ranting and raving. She didn't say anything and we had no further problems the rest of the game. If it makes any difference, this wasn't a short, quiet comment she made, but rather her screaming about the umpires "not knowing the rules" until the home team secured the third out in the inning. By the way, I did not include this incident in my game report...was I right in omitting it?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/comments!!