The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Runner doesn't slide...

You guys are either going to love me, for bringing up some discussions, or hate me for asking the stupidest questions...I'm new to softball, work basketball, football, volleyball for several years.

Sitch: R1 forced out on slow roller to F6. She walks into the base standing up in 'give up' mode because she was obviously out. F4 made the catch for the force but made no attempt to throw to 1st for the double. There was no collission and, in fact F4 ended up going ahead and tagging R1 like she may have been confused. I called nothing, other than the out and told the coach when she came out and asked me if R1 attempted to slide that 'in my judgement you had no play at 1st so I'm not ruling the runner at 1st out'

I would like any comments...NF
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Im not understanding your question.

What is the couch asking about?

From my understanding.. on an out of a runner without any type of collision.. the coach is presumably asking for an ejection as well?
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

sorry...she wanted the B-R called out also.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtref
sorry...she wanted the B-R called out also.
Without INT, S.O.L. and nice try coach. Play ball.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 06:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtref
You guys are either going to love me, for bringing up some discussions, or hate me for asking the stupidest questions...I'm new to softball, work basketball, football, volleyball for several years.

Sitch: R1 forced out on slow roller to F6. She walks into the base standing up in 'give up' mode because she was obviously out. F4 made the catch for the force but made no attempt to throw to 1st for the double. There was no collission and, in fact F4 ended up going ahead and tagging R1 like she may have been confused. I called nothing, other than the out and told the coach when she came out and asked me if R1 attempted to slide that 'in my judgement you had no play at 1st so I'm not ruling the runner at 1st out'

I would like any comments...NF
The coach is obviously not smart enough to know the rules. What the hell does a player not sliding have to do with anything in this play. In this play, it is the defenses job to complete the play. The retired runner cannot disappear and is doing the right thing by staying where she is.

As long as the retired runner did not do anything INTENTIONALLY to interfere with the throw or interfere with the player making the throw, it is nothing, but playing ball. BTW, standing still in the base line is not intentionally interferring with the play.