The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

hand warmer

I was behind the plate last week for a high school game. It was a 6:00 start and mid 30's with wind; in other words cold. After each pitch one of the pitchers put her hand in her back pocket, which made sense to me given the conditions. I didn't even think about it or look very closely.

Last night I was watching the taped replay of the game(really small, local cable company puts on a game of the week) and as they focused in on the pitcher I noticed that she had some object, about the size of a couple of small batterys, in that pocket. During the after game interview she told the host she kept a small handwarmer in her pocket during the game to help with the cold. She wasn't bragging or anything just answering questions.

Was there a rule being broken? 6-2-2 talks about a substance applied to the ball or fingers, but that doesn't apply. 1-8-1 speaks of non-traditional equipment (maybe?). What do you think?
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jimmy
I was behind the plate last week for a high school game. It was a 6:00 start and mid 30's with wind; in other words cold. After each pitch one of the pitchers put her hand in her back pocket, which made sense to me given the conditions. I didn't even think about it or look very closely.

Last night I was watching the taped replay of the game(really small, local cable company puts on a game of the week) and as they focused in on the pitcher I noticed that she had some object, about the size of a couple of small batterys, in that pocket. During the after game interview she told the host she kept a small handwarmer in her pocket during the game to help with the cold. She wasn't bragging or anything just answering questions.

Was there a rule being broken? 6-2-2 talks about a substance applied to the ball or fingers, but that doesn't apply. 1-8-1 speaks of non-traditional equipment (maybe?). What do you think?

Do you know what a hand-warmer is? It is an item, not a substance. Some of the older ones actually use lighter fluid and a flame is burning inside (wow, I am getting old to remember those).

Using a hand-warmer is no more illegal than a player wearing a jacket on a cold day.
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Can't see any way a hand warmer would be a no-no.

Had a tourney last November with temps in the 30's. Thats pretty cold for us hot blooded 'suthna's. I loaned out 3 ski caps (navy blue of course) to my fellow officials, but I was stingy with the hand warmers! I found that one inside the ski cap made a big difference in my comfort zone. I've learned now to keep a supply close.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Some of the older ones actually use lighter fluid and a flame is burning inside (wow, I am getting old to remember those).

Oh yeah! If you were into ice fishing or deer hunting you would have had one of those. I remember they came in flannel pouches, otherwise they would burn you if you left one in your hip pocket.

WMB
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMichBlue
Some of the older ones actually use lighter fluid and a flame is burning inside (wow, I am getting old to remember those).

Oh yeah! If you were into ice fishing or deer hunting you would have had one of those. I remember they came in flannel pouches, otherwise they would burn you if you left one in your hip pocket.

WMB

The sure would burn you, but they did the job, didn't they?
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jimmy
...about a substance applied to the ball or fingers...
Einstein might have to rule the illegal substance being heat, but I think the rest of us shouldn't have a problem with it.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Ump
Einstein might have to rule the illegal substance being heat, but I think the rest of us shouldn't have a problem with it.
Even so, it was being applied to the fingers, not the ball.
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Question

Playing Devil's Advocate for a moment (i.e.: offensive coach in this situation )

...the hand warmer is not part of the legal uniform, nor proper equipment. It gives an advantage to the pitcher who has it. We (as umpires) don't allow bat warmers because they give an unfair advantage by altering the properties of the bat.

... food for thought...
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
Playing Devil's Advocate for a moment (i.e.: offensive coach in this situation )

...the hand warmer is not part of the legal uniform,
A jock strap, sports bra or batting glove is not part of the legal uniform either, but it is not questioned.

Quote:
nor proper equipment.
Stated where? Do you make a player remove a mouthguard because it is not noted in the rule book as "proper equipment".

Quote:
It gives an advantage to the pitcher who has it.
How do you figure? If you think allowing the pitcher to keep her hand warm is an advantage, I will expect to see no jackets, sweatshirts, sweat pants, sweaters, gloves, extra layers of socks, UnderArmor on any player in the game. Oh, an let's not forget to remove any pockets on the uniform where a player may place their fingers to protect them from the environment.

Quote:
We (as umpires) don't allow bat warmers because they give an unfair advantage by altering the properties of the bat.
You are comparing a piece of equipment which when the characteristics of the bat change possibly endanger the players with a player keeping her hand warm?
Quote:
... food for thought...
Hope you enjoyed the meal 'cause you ain't getting dessert
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Sure I get dessert! Humble Pie! Thanks, Mike... that's the kind of debate/ammo I was looking for.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

SRW,

I'm surprised you haven't seen these used up in your area. I'm surprised you wouldn't have them in your pocket, they do a great job and might cost you $2 a game. They do an equally good job on your feet.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
SRW,

I'm surprised you haven't seen these used up in your area. I'm surprised you wouldn't have them in your pocket, they do a great job and might cost you $2 a game. They do an equally good job on your feet.
Seen them? Yes. Seen them used in a game? Not yet... but I'm sure they'll surface soon. I see more parents with them instead of the players.

I was in Target Saturday and saw some in the camping area specifically designed for feet. Kind of shaped funny, but seems to be a good idea for those with cold toes.

I wear some thinsulated wind/water resistant black gloves when I need to... they keep my hands warm enough.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Any skier can tell you about hand and toe warmers.