The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 04, 2004, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Everyone.. just have a quick question I hope someone can answer:

This is for "Little" Football (ages 9/10) which follows the same rule book as high school...

Does the center have to use one or two hands when snapping the ball?

The reason I ask is my son is in his 3rd year as center... his first year he was taught 2 hand and all was fine, and then halfway through the season last year (which was his 2nd year playing) a ref stopped the game and said it was illegal for him to snap w/ both hands, and he was pulled from the game to practice one hand snaps.. and had to do that the rest of the season.. NOW, this year his coach wants him to do 2 hands, we told him about the conflict last year, and no one can give us a straight answer... and our first game is Tues... so, please let me know what you think is "correct".. thank you!!
Old Sat Sep 04, 2004, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

As far as I know there is no problem with a two-handed snap. Here's part of the rule that describes a snap:

2-38-2: "... In a snap, the movement must be a quick and continuous backward motion of the ball during which the ball immediately leaves the hand(s) of the snapper..."

The fact that it says "hand(s)" certainly implies that the snapper can snap with two hands.

It's possible your local Pop Warner or youth football association has implemented some local rule that doesn't strictly follow the NFHS rule but that doesn't seem likely... really, why would you want to put that kind of handicap on kids just starting out?

Who knows?

-SW---

(P.S. Of course, I'm assuming you live in a state that plays by NFHS rules. If they use NCAA rules, I have no clue.)
Old Sat Sep 04, 2004, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the reply SeanWest....

LOL, I don't know why only this one ref would state this, and nothing was ever said by anyone else at any other time... so, thanks for the reply, I will let our coach know..

Melissa
Old Sun Sep 05, 2004, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
No such rule.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Mon Sep 06, 2004, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OneSalemChick

This is for "Little" Football (ages 9/10) which follows the same rule book as high school...

The reason I ask is my son is in his 3rd year as center... his first year he was taught 2 hand and all was fine, and then halfway through the season last year (which was his 2nd year playing) a ref stopped the game and said it was illegal for him to snap w/ both hands, and he was pulled from the game to practice one hand snaps.. and had to do that the rest of the season.. NOW, this year his coach wants him to do 2 hands, we told him about the conflict last year, and no one can give us a straight answer... and our first game is Tues... so, please let me know what you think is "correct".. thank you!!
I had a situation last year where the snapper of a Jr. Pee-Wee team was coming to the line, turning the ball parallel with his line of scrimmage and snapping the ball with his hands on the ends of the ball. At the half I explained to his coach that this was affecting the neutral zone and was illegal. I told him at this level we tend to let this go but it’s not wise letting the kids pick up bad habits and if they made it too the play-off’s they’d probably not get away with this type of snap. He thanked me for the info and had his snapper practice during the half using a two handed snap without turning the ball. No problem from then on.
Old Mon Sep 06, 2004, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James Neil
Quote:

I had a situation last year where the snapper of a Jr. Pee-Wee team was coming to the line, turning the ball parallel with his line of scrimmage and snapping the ball with his hands on the ends of the ball. At the half I explained to his coach that this was affecting the neutral zone and was illegal. I told him at this level we tend to let this go but it’s not wise letting the kids pick up bad habits and if they made it too the play-off’s they’d probably not get away with this type of snap. He thanked me for the info and had his snapper practice during the half using a two handed snap without turning the ball. No problem from then on.
Mr Neil, its been a while since I post here but I see you're still here going strong! Now as you know I am a big believer in taking a "common sense" approach to the rules/game of football. Having said that, it makes no difference whether you use one hand, two-hands, or even eight hands (if you were an octopus). Bottom line is the ball must be snapped between his legs and released. Furthermore, I do not recall reading anything in the rule book about the ball having to be positioned a certain way to establish the neutral zone. I'm sure this is a matter of preference between the center and quarterback. The way I make this call is I inform the center that he may adjust the ball (without lifting or moving it from its spot) to his preference as soon as he touches it. The neutral zone will be established after he touches the ball. Now if I am wrong, please correct me as I know you will.
Old Mon Sep 06, 2004, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Derock2004
Quote:
Quote:

Mr Neil, its been a while since I post here but I see you're still here going strong! Now as you know I am a big believer in taking a "common sense" approach to the rules/game of football. Having said that, it makes no difference whether you use one hand, two-hands, or even eight hands (if you were an octopus). Bottom line is the ball must be snapped between his legs and released. Furthermore, I do not recall reading anything in the rule book about the ball having to be positioned a certain way to establish the neutral zone. I'm sure this is a matter of preference between the center and quarterback. The way I make this call is I inform the center that he may adjust the ball (without lifting or moving it from its spot) to his preference as soon as he touches it. The neutral zone will be established after he touches the ball. Now if I am wrong, please correct me as I know you will.
Drock, I see you still use your seat of the pants officiating stile. Please read the rule book first before you give your rulings. This will save us both lots of time and greef. The ball can not be turned parallel to the LOS before snapping , The snapper doesn’t have to snap the ball between his legs and the NZ is established when the ready for play is blown.
Old Tue Sep 07, 2004, 04:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Derock2004
Quote:
Quote:

Drock, I see you still use your seat of the pants officiating stile. Please read the rule book first before you give your rulings. This will save us both lots of time and greef. The ball can not be turned parallel to the LOS before snapping , The snapper doesn’t have to snap the ball between his legs and the NZ is established when the ready for play is blown.
Mr Neil you are correct! I had to look those things up in the rule book as you suggested and I was wrong. However, we both agree on the one or two hand rule and all the rules pertaining to snapping infractions begin following the ready for play AND after the snapper touches the ball. I guess thats where I was getting to in my earlier post but its been a while since I read the rule book and needed to read it again for the proper wording of the rule.