The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 20, 2006, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

NFHS rules.

R1 at 3B, B3 squares to bunt, does not, in bringing bat back accidentally tangles with F2, causing her to throw past F1. R1 scores.

Do you call B3 out for interference?
Do you call time and send R1 back to 3B?
Do you allow the play to stand?

WMB

Old Mon Mar 20, 2006, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue
NFHS rules.

R1 at 3B, B3 squares to bunt, does not, in bringing bat back accidentally tangles with F2, causing her to throw past F1. R1 scores.

Do you call B3 out for interference?
Do you call time and send R1 back to 3B?
Do you allow the play to stand?

WMB

That is either one SSSLLLLLOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW reacting batter or a helluva quick catcher.
Old Mon Mar 20, 2006, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to pollywolly60
Well, I definitely don't have interference judging from the info given here. It is slightly possible that I would have nothing, let play stand, depending on the timing of the events. Picturing it in my mind, though, I've probably got a dead ball, and return the runner to third.
Old Mon Mar 20, 2006, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Forget the timing, or my description, or Mike's sssllloooow batter and focus on this fact:

Batter unintentionally interferred with the catcher's return throw to the pitcher, resulting in a bad throw and a runner advancing.

WMB
Old Mon Mar 20, 2006, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

ASA has an exception to 7-6.P when no play is being made and interference is accidental. Dead ball, no play.

I see no such exception to NFHS 8-3-5. Wish there was, and hope I'm missing it, but, interference is the call; batter is out, and runner returns to third. If no one advanced, I might consider a "no call", but cannot allow offense to benefit, even if it was unintentional.
Old Mon Mar 20, 2006, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

WMB,

It seems to be one of those HTBT plays. I believe, based on the description I have a no-call, live ball. I'm assuming the batter is still in the batters box so you must judge the interference to be intentional in order to get the INT call here.

"in bringing bat back accidentally tangles with F2"

Is it possible that we have obstruction on the catcher?

Old Mon Mar 20, 2006, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Really good question, WMB.

NFHS 7-3-5 has this little phrase in it... "...any other movement which hinders action at home or the catcher's attempt to play on a runner..."

Neither of those situations were going on here; there was no play at home; the catcher was not attempting a play on a runner.

I might consider this to be a situation not covered by the rules and, using 10-2-3-g, apply the ASA exception (dead ball, runner returns).
Old Mon Mar 20, 2006, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

You’re right Steve; there is no exception in NFHS as there is in ASA. I posted this to bring the issue to the attention of NFHS umpires.

Apparently Mary Struckhoff has issued an interpretation that will surprise you: let the play stand!

Normally I teach H.S. umpires that if there is no specific instruction in the NFHS book (i.e., deflected ball, or double 1B a few years ago) to use an ASA interpretation. So I would have said “Dead ball, return runner, no penalty on batter.”

In this case I am assuming that Struckhoff made this interpretation because there is no NFHS rule to call otherwise, so you have to let the play stand. Though we certainly could invoke umpire powers under 10-2.3g. Hopefully we will have a book revision next year.

WMB

Obviously we see it the same way, Dakota, but . . . . . .(see above)!

[Edited by WestMichBlue on Mar 20th, 2006 at 11:57 AM]
Old Wed Mar 22, 2006, 04:48am
Official Forum Member

In a different play, if a batter is getting set at the plate and were to hit the catcher glove or kick up dirt on a back swing, I would call time and allow everyone to re-set.

In the play mentioned in this thread, I hope I would be alert enough to do the same, before the runner scored.

If the play is as I understand it, I hope the interpretation will be reconsidered. I think the situation that occurred is outside the spirit of the game. If it stands, every batter should begin to "accidentally" swing at the ball as it is being thrown back from the catcher to the pitcher.
Old Wed Mar 22, 2006, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to pollywolly60
2005 NFHS case play 7.3.5 Situation A:
..."B2(batter) is entitled to her position in the batter's box and is not subject to interference unless she moves or re-establishes her position after F2 has received the pitch, which then prevents F2 from attempting to play on a runner. Failing to move so the catcher can make a throw is not batter interference."
This is in reference to a play where either the batter does or does not swing, and either makes no attempt to get out of the way of the catcher throwing, or is unable to make an attempt to get out of the way.
I don't believe interference should be the call on the originally posted play.
Old Wed Mar 22, 2006, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

We don't have a play; we don't have intent; interference is not an issue. I like the ASA route that we simply reset things after the play has ended. I don't like the NFHS interpt; it seems like we are rewarding the offense for a batter's mistake.

If it was the catcher's mistake; if she tangled with the batter and made a bad throw - too bad. Live ball, play on. But our play has a catcher doing what she normally would do, but her throw goes awry because of the batter's accidental action.

WMB
Old Wed Mar 22, 2006, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

What if there was a play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMichBlue
We don't have a play; we don't have intent; interference is not an issue. I like the ASA route that we simply reset things after the play has ended. I don't like the NFHS interpt; it seems like we are rewarding the offense for a batter's mistake.

If it was the catcher's mistake; if she tangled with the batter and made a bad throw - too bad. Live ball, play on. But our play has a catcher doing what she normally would do, but her throw goes awry because of the batter's accidental action.

WMB
Suppose there was a runner at 2nd who was stealing on the pitch. If the batter squared to bunt then pulled the bat back and the catcher and batter got tangled, do we have interference if there was no intent on the part of the batter? Based on 7-6-P through 7-6-S, it appears we have a live ball.

7-6-P involved stepping out of the batter's box. That didn't happen.
7-6-Q requires intent while the batter is standing in the box and in the play I described above, assume there was no intent.
7-6-R requires intent when interfering with a thrown ball, in or out of the batter's box.
7-6-S requires interfering with a play at home plate.