The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 20, 2006, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Al

So if the umpire does not think the runner would have been safe (had there been no obstruction) would he/she not award 3rd base? Let's say in the play I presented the pitcher gets the ball immediately and throws to 3rd and the ball gets there way ahead of the runner, who was only slightly brushed by the obstructing fielder. (runner hardly lost a step) If 2nd is not open, an umpire may or may not award the obstructed runner 3rd? He may call the runner out? If 2nd is open the runner is protected between 2nd and 3rd, and cannot be called out. I have to get this clear in my mind.
If second is not open(implying a force), yet the runner is OBS going to third, then you would have no choice but to award the runner third base. Remember, the rule of thumb is that the runner can not be put out between the bases in which she was obstructed.(Though there certainly are cases, such as an appeal on a missed base, where this can occur.) You would not want to reward the defense for their infraction(OBS), no matter how slight you may perceive it.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Mar 20, 2006, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

My comments were for this play only. If I misled you to think that the award is NEVER third base, I apologize. It could be, in the cases you witnessed, that the umpire felt that the baserunner WOULD HAVE achieved 3rd base without the OBS, so the award was possibly correct.

What is important to remember is that the award A) is determined at the time of the obstruction, and B) is the base the umpire thought at that moment that the player would have reached had the obstruction occurred.

There are other rulesets (notably baseball) where obstruction is intended to carry a penalty - in ASA the obstruction award is intended to A) prevent an out that would not have occurred if the OBS hadn't happened and B) nullify the OBS and "set things right"
Old Wed Mar 22, 2006, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
"Remember, the rule of thumb is that the runner can not be put out between the bases in which she was obstructed.(Though there certainly are cases, such as an appeal on a missed base, where this can occur.) You would not want to reward the defense for their infraction(OBS), no matter how slight you may perceive it".

Thanks,

It's clear as can be now, thanks to you, mcrowder, and Mike. There's one thing that I don't ever want to happen, and that is to be wrong on the metrics of a call. It's bad enough to second guess a close call, that makes the difference in who wins or losses, but to find out after a game, or on protest, that I made the wrong call because I didn't know the correct ruling is something that would be hard for me to live with. I know everyone that respects the game feels the same way. And I believe those who do respect the game really learn quickly from one's mistakes, because they don't want the same ones to happen again. It's one thing to study the rules and quite another to be in live action on the field. Thanks guys... Al
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
You need to reread the play. It was a couple feet off 2B.

It is OBS because the fielder doesn't have possession of the ball. A no call leaves the runner hanging out to dry due to a defender impeding their progress.

BTW, there is no rule preventing the runner from crossing 2B, running out and around the LF three times and to wherever.
OK, the more I think about it I can accept that this was OBS. I realize there is no rule against the runner taking whatever path she chooses, I was just using the fact that no attempt was being made to reach third as my justification for a no-call. I now see that was incorrect.