The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
I think Scott is looking for an INT discussion here.
That's exactly what I was looking for.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
"If there is no play, there is no interference."
That was the point I made to the umpire who asked the question of me after the game.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
... what did you mean by "(excepting, of course, silly rule interpretations on running lane violations)"? Interference on a RLV is still interference with a play. No play, no interference
Oh, I'm just taking another opportunity to bash the NFHS - as WMB would accuse me of - but, not really BASH them, more like make fun of them. Besides, has this now been adopted by the ASA, too??? Seems like I remember some discussion about it late last year.

The "silly interpretation" is the NFHS (and maybe others') interpretation of the running lane violation to include when the batter-runner who is awarded a base on balls gets hit by a thrown ball when out of the lane, regardless of whether there is any real play possible at 1B.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Ah. Gotcha.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Same origional question but instead of offensive player, change to defensive player. “Before the ball enters the dugout, the ball caroms off an DEFENSIVE player not in the game and who is sitting at the edge of the dugout, then into the dugout. What do you rule?”
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tex
Same origional question but instead of offensive player, change to defensive player. “Before the ball enters the dugout, the ball caroms off an DEFENSIVE player not in the game and who is sitting at the edge of the dugout, then into the dugout. What do you rule?”
Dead ball. Runners awarded two bases from TOP.

Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Skaht - nice quote. Bringing out a little Steven Wright for all to enjoy. Nice.

One of my favorites: I used to work at a fire hydrant company, but I hated it because you couldn't park anywhere near the place.

That and his one long joke - the nympho joke.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Skaht - nice quote. Bringing out a little Steven Wright for all to enjoy. Nice.
Thanks. All of my quotes on here have been Steven Wright quotes. He is perhaps the funniest human in the stand-up biz...IMO.

Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

I have a map of the world that is actual size.... a little square down in the ocean says one mile = one mile.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Skahtboi
Quote:
Originally posted by Tex
Dead ball. Runners awarded two bases from TOP.
Scott -

Just wondering why the ruling isn't the same for both? Since the ball was inches from DBA.
Could you provide the NFHS rule you are basing your call on?

thanks
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Why should the offense benefit from interfering with action? THEY prevented it from leaving the field of play. It didn't leave the field of play, even if you think/suspect/know it was going to.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
... what did you mean by "(excepting, of course, silly rule interpretations on running lane violations)"? Interference on a RLV is still interference with a play. No play, no interference
Oh, I'm just taking another opportunity to bash the NFHS - as WMB would accuse me of - but, not really BASH them, more like make fun of them. Besides, has this now been adopted by the ASA, too??? Seems like I remember some discussion about it late last year.

The "silly interpretation" is the NFHS (and maybe others') interpretation of the running lane violation to include when the batter-runner who is awarded a base on balls gets hit by a thrown ball when out of the lane, regardless of whether there is any real play possible at 1B.
Well, no, ASA did not change their interpretation of this play.

ASA simply removed the comment "without liability to be put out" when talking about a walk because in FP the BR could enter DBT, interfere with a play on another runner, etc. I just attended a clinic with the top two ASA guys and when this rule change was covered, they never mentioned a change in the existing interpretation.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why should the offense benefit from interfering with action? THEY prevented it from leaving the field of play. It didn't leave the field of play, even if you think/suspect/know it was going to.
That is what I was hoping Scott would say.
Keeping non participants off the field and totally in the dugout in the first place makes this problem go away.
Old Mon Mar 20, 2006, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JFA67
Quote:
That is what I was hoping Scott would say.
Keeping non participants off the field and totally in the dugout in the first place makes this problem go away.
Sorry. Just got back here after leaving my last post Friday. I don't ever read this board on the weekends.