Thread: Sitch
View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JFA67
Quote:
Originally posted by Skahtboi
R1 on 1B. B2 hits a hot grounder to F5 who boots the ball, sending it in the direction of the open offensive dugout. (No wall or screening to protect the bench). Before the ball enters the dugout, the ball caroms off an offensive player not in the game and who is sitting at the edge of the dugout, then into the dugout. What do you rule?
I can't tell from your post if the offensive player caused the ball to roll into the dugout or not. Or if she was in or out of the dugout.
If she did then the runners stop at first and second.
If the ball would have entered the dugout anyway, apply book rule. R1 at 3rd, B2 at second.

I was thinking about NFHS rule 8-4-3i and if the ball actually would have made it into the dugout without contacting the O player. 2 bases from the time of the pitch p65-66 of the 2006 NFHS rule book. I can imagine a player not paying attention and getting hit as the ball enters the dugout.
I was going from that piont of view. IMO the umpires should have kept the players and coaches not involved in the game off the field. Preventative officiating.