View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 17, 2005, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

This play is more simple, in that the play was made at a base protected by rule. I agree that we must follow standard mechanics, and PU makes the call at 3rd. Simple call, as R1 is protected to 3rd.

Where this gets dicey is when the subsequent play is made at home. It is now not so obvious that we have R1 protected to that base. But, I think I have the same response to the mechanic; we stay with standard mechanics, and the umpire responsible to call at the plate (PU if 2 man, U1 if 3 man) must use his judgment and make his call. If BU (or U3) would have protection to home and the calling umpire rules "out", then the BU needs to call "Time" and advise PU that R1 is protected to home. If calling ump kills the play at the plate, and BU didn't see protection to home, then BU must assume PU saw more after he switched his coverage to BR, and accept that call.

If PU then decides to conference (generally as a result of coach request), then discuss and resolve. But, keep your mechanics, and calling ump makes his call.