The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 06:16am
In Memoriam

From an e-mail from whisker's daughter:

"My father is Glen Clow and from the messages I receive, I know you are friends of his.

My father suffered a heart attack on 25 Sep 05, and was flown out of Woodville to the Heart Center at Woodland Heights in Lufkin; 936-634-8311, Rm 5, in the ICU.

They performed an angioplasty and were able to open the blocked arteries. He will be in intensive care for a few days, and then should be moved to a step-down unit. He is scheduled for a echocardiogram tomorrow to determine the extent of the damage and if additional repair is required.

My Mother, Elaine, is with him and currently stranded in Lufkin because of the damage to the roads due to Rita. Elaine has my father’s cell phone and hers with her.

(409) 283-0583 – Glen

(409) 351-6000 – Elaine

(936) 634-8311 – Hospital, ICU, Rm 5

If you know anyone in Lufkin and if they are in a position to offer my Mother accommodations, I would greatly appreciate it. The hospital is at capacity, she slept on the floor of the waiting room last night and all hotels/motels are full.

Please make the “ump” network aware of Glen’s status; you all know what you and calling ball means to him."
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Oh My.

That certainly isn't the news we were expecting to hear!

The prayers of the Logan family are with you Glen and your family also.

Buddy and Polly.

Woodland Heights Medical Center
505 S John Redditt Dr
Lufkin, TX 75904-3120

Let's flood him with get well wishes!
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Prayers and best wishes to Glen and his family.

Mick - if Glen's daughter is agreeable, could you post the email address so that we can send get well wishes that way. Thanks

Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 11:31am
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy
Prayers and best wishes to Glen and his family.

Mick - if Glen's daughter is agreeable, could you post the email address so that we can send get well wishes that way. Thanks

I'll ask.
mick
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to whiskers_daughter Send a message via Yahoo to whiskers_daughter
Glen's Status

I want to thank everyone for their thoughts, prayers, and support. The "Umpire" network went into effect quickly and my parents cell phones are ringing off the hook; it does them both much good in knowing there are so many are concerned.

Whiskers is his usual self...he has yet to pull off any heart leads but given his short patience level and high need to dispense havoc in his wake.....I am sure the antics will start soon.

Sunday, he was clearing trees with a chain saw and developed chest pains; his 14 year old grand-daughter Kristen had the presence of mind to put him in the truck and drove him down the street to the Woodville Hospital. The hospital immediately flew him to the Heart Center in Lufkin where he has been since.

The Heart Center performed an angioplasty to clear the effected artery and he has been recovering well. He had two episodes of bleeding when vomiting (probably related to the blood thinners) but none since. He also had a little excitement when they sat him up and blood spurted from the femoral from the angioplasty site. They applied pressure and sandbagged the site until the bleeding stopped and the site clotted. Blood thinners are funny that way!!

Today they are hoping to sit him on the side of the bed and allow him to dangle his legs. I am sure his backside is sore from being on his back the last few days. He is also supposed to have an echocardiogram to determine the extent of the damage and if it is necessary to go back in.

The last word was that he will be there for 10-14 days; he will go to a stepdown and then a cardiac ward.

Mom was able to get a couple of chairs and put them together for a "cot" and one of the nurses, Mark, allowed her to shower in the ICU. She did take a few personal care items and a few changes of clothes. She is eating in the cafeteria at the hospital and seems to be in better spirits after the shower and food :-)

I am not sure what roads are open or closed; they seem to fluctuate. She plans to contact the highway patrol to see if she can get back to Woodville for additional provisions and personal items.

Again, I thank you all for the quick responses. My Father speaks highly of all those that he works for and with. You are all his extended family and I am thankful for that.

Cynthia
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to whiskers_daughter Send a message via Yahoo to whiskers_daughter
Contact Information

Cynthia's email - [email protected]
Cynthia's cell (Sprint) - (210) 391-2338
Whisker's cell - (409)283-0583
Elaine's cell - (409) 351-6000
Heart Center - (936) 634-8311 ICU, Rm 5

Mom has both cell phones and charges them when she can. Service is sporadic but if you leave a message, she takes the phone in to Whiskers so he can hear them. He has already been chastised by the nurses for using the cell phone around the telemetry equipment.....but hey what can you say to a man who thought the highlight of this experience was having his undies cut off......

Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Glen, wreaking havoc!?!?

Hope all turns out well for everyone in the family.

I'm sure all on the board will be including Glen in their prayers.

God bless.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Glen,
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I had this same operation 2 years ago. I know what you are experiencing. Give yourself some relaxation and time and you will be back umpiring within 6 months. Just be cautious with the excessive umpiring in the Texas heat. I look forward in seeing you at the TASO meeting in January.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Glen, wreaking havoc!?!?

I just can't imagine that either.

Quote:
Hope all turns out well for everyone in the family.

I'm sure all on the board will be including Glen in their prayers.
You know it!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the info on Glen,
Our prayers are with them.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Glen

Our prayers are with you. Hope you have a speedy recovery. I am still looking forward to getting a chance to umpire with you somewhere down the road!!

To a speed recovery

Don
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Glen,

This is not what we expected when we could not reach you. The prayers of all umpires in the North Texas community are with you and wishes for a speedy recovery.

Larry
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

I was kinda shocked when I got Glen's Daughter's email this morning. I see everyone else was too. Since I could not send a card - I sent a voice mail. Like the rest, I'm hoping & praying for a quick return and successful treatment.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Glen

I've been thinking of you since the storm hit. I just had a funny feeling Saturday that something was wrong.

Remember we are going to work together all day in Beaumont next year. don't push yourself too hard and get better.
Old Wed Sep 28, 2005, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

I too was worried about Glen on Saturday morning. I had moved up to our Ft. Worth office to work until staff could get back to our Galveston and Brazoria County offices. Also, the Line Crews and Energy Tech's had taken over our office in Angleton ahead of the storm because it is more structurally sound than their Service Center.

My kids had gone with their Mom to Nacogdoches which is about 70 miles north of Glen and they got hit pretty hard so I knew that Woodville was pretty hard hit. I knew that as many pine trees that there were in that area, that there would be a ton of cleaning up to do.

I was going to have my youngest leave a voice message for Glen last night but she was at Grandparents helping care for her disabled Uncle who evacuated from Beaumont.

My ex wound up leaving one of her cars in Carthage (just outside of Lufkin) and has not been able to get back to it because of the gas situation in East Texas.........If I go with her to pick it up, I will stop in on Glen and give him everybody's best.

I had hoped to come home to better news and like y'all will keep him and his family in my prayers.

Joel