The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Here is a rule question for ASA Men's slowpitch: Team A is the home team and leads after the 5th inning by three runs. In the top of the 6th inning Team B scores 5 runs to take a 2 run lead. Team A starts the bottom of the 6th and after a batter reaches first and an out is recorded, the timer for the field lights goes off and shuts down the field lights, thus ending play.

The Ump says that Team B wins.

If the game were called due to rain, I would think that you would call the game based on the score of the last completed inning if there were 5 or more complete innings played.

There was talk of making us replay the last 2 outs of the 6th inning.

Anyone know the rule?

Thanks
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

The ruling on this would be - League decision.

The league should have guidelines in place to deal with these situations. About all the umpires can do is make sure all of the applicable game information at the time of the suspension is recorded.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Yikes, it is scary that the league could rule that a team could lose a game based on the score from a non-completed inning.

Thanks for the reply. This happened last week and to my knowledge, there has been no decision contrary to the ump's ruling on the field. It is a gift to my team, but I feel that it is wrong. I will post any update.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nkva
Yikes, it is scary that the league could rule that a team could lose a game based on the score from a non-completed inning.

Thanks for the reply. This happened last week and to my knowledge, there has been no decision contrary to the ump's ruling on the field. It is a gift to my team, but I feel that it is wrong. I will post any update.
The point was that this is not an umpire's decision to make. Leagues on the other hand can do pretty much as they please, right, wrong or indifferent.