The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

This question is more out of curiosity than anything else.

I keep reading (here and elsewhere) advice to umpires to never bring a rule book onto the field. I think I understand the reasons why we wouldn't want to. But it's an old, old piece of advice -- I remember being told this as early as 1982.

Today, I was reading the OBR (yeah, yeah, I know, different sport), and in its Rule 9.05, GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS TO UMPIRES, it says "Carry your rule book. It is better to hold the game up for ten minutes to decide a knotty problem than to have a game thrown out on protest and replayed."

That statement just makes common sense to me. What's a "knotty problem" depends on our experience level, particularly in one-man ump systems.

I violate the unwritten rule all the time: I pack a current ASA rule book in my bag, but I never whip it out during the course of a game. Fortunately, I've never really had to. But it doesn't take much imagination to conjure up a nightmare where consulting the rule book on the field might make the difference between a protest and not.

I know we have a group of really experienced Blues out there. What say you? (Besides "memorize the rule book"?)

TIA, folks.
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

noobie stated:

I violate the unwritten rule all the time: I pack a current ASA rule book in my bag, but I never whip it out during the course of a game.

No, you have violated no written or unwritten rule, as long as it is not in your pocket.

It is better to hold the game up for ten minutes to decide a knotty problem than to have a game thrown out on protest and replayed."

That's why we have UIC's. They handle these things.

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

I have to agree with what the OBR says and have for years.

Personally, I don't carry a rule book but I have one that is close enough to suit my purposes as well as a Case Book (something that everyone should invest in if you want to get the call right)

I started umpiring in 1978 (didn't do softball until early 1980)
I came along in a system of training that said, "Eject any coach who brings a rule book on the field."

I don't feel that threatened by a coach with a rule book.
I have tossed more than one coach for showing his A$$ while waving a rule book But NEVER for a coach asking me to explain a ruling when he or she thought the rule book said something different.

I have done over 30 ASA Nationals in all three forms of softball. There have been times I have had a protest about a rule application or interpretation but have never had a protest upheld.

I make every effort to learn the rules and apply them correctrly, I have made mistakes like every other human out there.

If you want to keep a rule book handy, do so.
But UNDERSTAND AND BE AWARE that frequent referrals to it is an invitation to lose control of your game.
I say don't sit around and read the rule book near the field after a game and definately don't spend time looking at it between innings
That is just asking for trouble.

I have on occassion sat and read the rule book before a game and have had comments about it both negative and positive. My answer to both groups is that I am just refresing my memory or testing myself.
Often in REC leagues, it has been beneficial as I end up in good coverstation with players, coaches and parents who have rule questions and I get the opportunity to educate a little.

Most of all, it is going to depend of you, your ability to communicate, your rule knowledge, and your experience with rule situations.

Be smart, not just book smart and have a good attitude.
If you have those attributes, your games will probably go well (in spite of fans, coaches and players who don't have a clue).

Have fun with your games
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by noobie
This question is more out of curiosity than anything else.

I keep reading (here and elsewhere) advice to umpires to never bring a rule book onto the field. I think I understand the reasons why we wouldn't want to. But it's an old, old piece of advice -- I remember being told this as early as 1982.

Today, I was reading the OBR (yeah, yeah, I know, different sport), and in its Rule 9.05, GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS TO UMPIRES, it says "Carry your rule book. It is better to hold the game up for ten minutes to decide a knotty problem than to have a game thrown out on protest and replayed."

That statement just makes common sense to me. What's a "knotty problem" depends on our experience level, particularly in one-man ump systems.

I violate the unwritten rule all the time: I pack a current ASA rule book in my bag, but I never whip it out during the course of a game. Fortunately, I've never really had to. But it doesn't take much imagination to conjure up a nightmare where consulting the rule book on the field might make the difference between a protest and not.

I know we have a group of really experienced Blues out there. What say you? (Besides "memorize the rule book"?)

TIA, folks.
Well, memorizing the book isn't a bad thing, but the book is nothing without the associated clinics and/or schools.

I always have a rule book nearby. I keep two in my equipment bag, two in my briefcase, one next to my computer, one at work and one in the car. Okay, a little overkill, but as everyone on here knows, I'm anal about the rules.

And I will discuss a rule with anyone after a game and show them in the book to what I am referring as long as that individual is within complete control of their facilities and calm.

However, I will never bring one out during the game as an umpire. As a UIC of a tournament, I often keep one in my pocket. If a team wants to protest a call, no problem, sign the scorebook and move on. If Championship Play, call the UIC (suggest, however, that the call actually be protestable and you have exhausted your discussion with the manager before summoning the UIC).

Another point here is that if you bring that book out for one play, be prepared to bring it out a few more times. Even if there is no doubt, the first time a manager feels his team has been slighted and you tell them you will not reference the rule book, the chances of a pending ejection grow tremendously.
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

'Today, I was reading the OBR (yeah, yeah, I know, different sport), and in its Rule 9.05, GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS TO UMPIRES, it says "Carry your rule book. It is better to hold the game up for ten minutes to decide a knotty problem than to have a game thrown out on protest and replayed."'

That was written by Alexander Cartwright, and the baseball pundits never removed it.

Bob
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

I always have a rulebook nearby, never on the field, for any association for which I am umpiring. It comes in handy for my own and others reference.

The NCAA requires that umpires have a rulebook on site. Rule 15:1:c states: "It is required that the umpiring crew have a current NCAA Softball Rules book accessible during the competition." The idea here is to cut down on the chance of protestable games. Makes sense to me.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Skahtboi

The NCAA requires that umpires have a rulebook on site. Rule 15:1:c states: "It is required that the umpiring crew have a current NCAA Softball Rules book accessible during the competition." The idea here is to cut down on the chance of protestable games. Makes sense to me.
Yes, it does make sense for such a wide-spread organization which doesn't have persons in the area to make a rules interpretation.

One question, though. Have you ever run into someone that no matter how hard you are trying to show them a rule, THEY know better because THEY have been __________ for so many years, yada, yada, yada?

List for blank:

coaching
playing
umpiring
following
studying the rule book
(add your own)

Then there are those folks who, even after seeing the rule, believe it doesn't apply to them because _____________.

No umpire ever calls it
You cannot make that call at this point in the game
You cannot end a game on a call like that
That was last year's rule
That rule must have been changed after the book was printed
(add your own)

My point being that no matter how much sense it makes, I don't believe it is always the wisest option.

JMHO,
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Take out a rule book to verify a call, and on EVERY disputed ruling, you'll have to bring it out again.

Bob
Old Sun Aug 14, 2005, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

IMO, the only time I would take out a rulebook during a game is if it was the last recourse and only resolution to a protest being filed; and then only if no UIC was available to resolve the protest. If it can be resolved by "looking it up" and proving the ruling to a coach, then that is preferable to playing a game under protest.

If the protest would be addressed immediately, then I say, let them protest, let the UIC handle it.

If I am the UIC, then I always answer with the rulebook ready to reference the ruling; if I am taking their money, they deserve to see it in the book, not just hear my decision.
Old Sun Aug 14, 2005, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

I would have to agree with everyones statement on not bringing a book out during a game unless its the last resort option. But having a book with you on site,not on field, is, in my opinion, a must. It provides us as ambassadors to the game to become better ones. How many times do we find ourselves walking off a field asking our selves; was that the right call? Well instead of just pondering and not knowing, you have a book with you in your bag or car that you and your partner(s) can go to and learn something while the play is still fresh in your mind. Everytime we step on the field theres a chance of seeing something that has never been seen before. And by having a book close by you will be able to determine(after the game) wether or not your ruling was correct or incorrect, either way you are going to be able to learn and become a better umpire.
Old Sun Aug 14, 2005, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

I love this board

Thanks, everybody. I knew I'd get great pearls of wisdom out of my question.

0&2, Mike: Those are a couple of motivations for my packing a book, too. (a) For my own reinforcement, after the game (and everybody's gone), when a play I might have the slightest question about is still fresh (the Casebook is great for this too, which I also pack), and (b) To discuss calls & rules with anyone who's nice about it after the game. It eventually makes my job easier if everyone knows about the rule book -- I will see both teams again

There's at least one clinic in my future this winter. I've got mechanics things to work on, and I can always use more case work.

I would NEVER EVER whip that book out without it being last resort (although it's sometimes tempting to slam the door on a stupid argument. Buf if I can't do that with my own authority, I have work to do).

Steve, Glen: Wherever I can get work around here during the regular season, I am the UIC (scary, huh?). There's never any on-field help available, nobody to overrule me. If I hear about anything, it's from the protest board (hasn't happened yet, but it will someday). To make it worse, it's all single-ump system. Not only am I UIC, PU, and sole on-field authority, but I'm also head groundskeeper. I have to take the bases off the field, lock up everything, shut down the lights, etc ... I'm usually the last guy there, so I have lots of time alone to read those books whenever I want it. The only thing I don't have to do is rake & chalk the field

I was hoping somebody would tell me that the UIC role was a justification for packing those books

bluezebra: Yeah, I hear you. That's why I haven't resorted to it yet. More than once I've refrained from doing so just for fear of losing control of the game.

Some of the remarks we get are downright stupid in P&R SP play. I often hear "I've been playing this game for X*10 years, and (insert myth here)". If I respond at all, I ask if they've ever seen the rule book. If they answer in the affirmative, I ask them to tell me the color of the cover. End of argument, right there -- none of those jokers has ever given me the right answer. "BZZZZT ... PLAY BALL!" I often have this suicidal fantasy about whipping out the rule book and saying "Here: this is what the rule book looks like; go get one." But now we're talking about attitude, and I'm working on having a good one. I can't end an argument with belittlement, no matter how tempting it might be, or I risk losing respect. Once you lose it, getting it back is nearly impossible.

Scott: Thanks for a really well-thought out reply. I'm a lot like you, even going back to when we were originally trained. I don't want to risk losing control of the game; but I want all calls as right as humanly possible, and I don't wanna hear from the protest board (although it's inevitable). In this league, the rule book doesn't seem to have made the rounds among all players & coaches: if I get a chance to correct an old myth, I'm gonna do it (after the game, if all parties are level-headed about it) -- I just won't do it on-field.

Play 8-2.39 from the Casebook happened to me about a month ago. I got the call right (DP). The DP victims just couldn't believe that it was right; at the time of the call I stood firm, and they were good sports about it, played on and lost. After the game, they asked (nicely), so I read them the rules and the applicable POE -- the conversation went on for about 20 minutes. The reasoning was made clear to them: they learned something. Good for them, good for me, good for the game. There's one play I'll never kick. But that was a "book smart" call ... I'd read about it in advance and had never seen it.

I really take your statement "Be smart, not just book smart" to heart: it's been the watch-phrase for this, my second rookie season. I'm not threatened by anybody with a rule book in hand, either. I *hate* getting a rules lesson from a coach (it's happened); but if that's the way I have to learn, at least the lesson will be permanent. I hate being embarrassed by my own mistake; hopefully, that will be the last time it's ever made by me.

I'm just waiting for that sitch where the level of play and bizzareness of the ball bounce exceed my level of ability: it's gonna happen someday. I'm not afraid to correct myself; but I want to be 100% certain before I do it. Having that book available is more a security blanket than anything else, so far. I haven't had to use it on-field yet; but I just couldn't understand why we'd deny ourselves that option if the old wives' tale were true.

I am having fun with my games. I wish everybody the same. The better I get, the more fun I have! Maybe I'll even get to the next level someday.

I got stopped by a player after a game the other day. It was a first-round playoff game ... we were supposed to have two umps on the field; but due to scheduling messups, we only had me. Both managers were pi$$ed, to put it mildly. All I could do was promise them my "A" game in the pregame conf, which I gave them, never mind the 100+-degree heat index. After the game, a player from the losing side stopped me and said, "Blue, I've never seen an ump in this league hustle so hard. You hauled a$$ to get to those 2nd base calls, and you got them all dead right. You called balls and strikes with absolute authority. We appreciate that." All I could do was thank him. What he couldn't know is that I work for that kind of respect, and that kind of feedback that my game is getting better ... it sure ain't the money at this stage

Now I'm excited. I got an e-mail from the league assignor: I have another playoff game Tuesday. It will be the first time I've worked double-ump in almost 20 years. I'm scheduled to be the BU. I've had my head in every umpire's manual I can -- this "new" SP 2-man system is interesting, and even makes sense. I was brought up under the "foul side theory" nobody-on mechanic. Let's see if I can get it right.

Thanks again, everyone -- you guys are great. Sorry for the length of the post. I love this place
Old Mon Aug 15, 2005, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
I carry a rule book too - it's in my trunk. I have a small library there with Federation, ASA, College and LL books but they only come out before or after a game. I believe that between my partner and myself we should be able to come up with the correct ruling on every situation. If we can't I can assure you we will come up with a ruling. If it's tournament play there's a UIC to rescue us.

In my pregame, I tell the coaches that they CAN question a rule interpretation. If they do, call time and wait for it to be granted and to have the rule book open to the rule in question. My rulebook?? It's still in the trunk!