The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Just wanted to post this situation that happened to me last night in a co-ed slowpitch game, to make sure I called it right.

1 out, runners on 2B (R3) and 1B (R4). B5 hits a can of corn to F7 - B5 out. R4 forgot to tag, and runs to 2B. R3 tagged, and took off on the catch to 3B. The throw comes in to F6. The base coach is screaming at R4 to go back to 1B. R4 realizes what she did wrong, and busts back to 1B. F6 throws to F3, but F3 misses the throw, and the ball goes into Dead Ball territory past the fenceline. I signal dead ball. R4 then makes it back to 1B.

At the time of the throw, R3 was on 3B, and R4 was heading back to 1B.

My question: would B3's "last base touched from the time of the throw" be 1B or 2B? I took it to be 1B. If it was 2B, then I should have awarded B3 home...

I awarded R3 home, and R4 3B. I allowed R4 to complete her baserunning responsibilities by tagging up, then awarded 2 bases from 1B. Did I call it right?

Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Yes, except for NSA or one of those tangents.

It's where the runner is at the time of the throw, regardless of direction or bases touched.

p.s. please edit the "B3" etc. to make it easier on the next reader.
Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Assuming I fully understood your play, you ruled correctly. If R4 had left 2B and was between 1B and 2B at the time F6 threw the ball, then the two base award is 2nd and 3rd. If R4 was between 3B and 2B, then the two base award would be 3rd and home.

I repeat that understanding because it is possible to be "headed back to 1B" but still be located between 3B and 2B, or have just reached 2B on the return at the time of the throw.

Nothing else you stated is in issue; handled correctly.
Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SRW
Just wanted to post this situation that happened to me last night in a co-ed slowpitch game, to make sure I called it right.

1 out, runners on 2B (R3) and 1B (R4). B5 hits a can of corn to F7 - B5 out. R4 forgot to tag, and runs to 2B. R3 tagged, and took off on the catch to 3B. The throw comes in to F6. The base coach is screaming at R4 to go back to 1B. R4 realizes what she did wrong, and busts back to 1B. F6 throws to F3, but F3 misses the throw, and the ball goes into Dead Ball territory past the fenceline. I signal dead ball. R4 then makes it back to 1B.

At the time of the throw, R3 was on 3B, and R4 was heading back to 1B.

My question: would B3's "last base touched from the time of the throw" be 1B or 2B? I took it to be 1B. If it was 2B, then I should have awarded B3 home...

I awarded R3 home, and R4 3B. I allowed R4 to complete her baserunning responsibilities by tagging up, then awarded 2 bases from 1B. Did I call it right?

Assuming the order of events is the same as you posted it, 3B. However, if not and F6 released the ball while R4 was still in contact with 2B, the award would be home.

Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Talking POE # 38

I just read POE #38, and that makes it all clear now. I was pretty sure I had called the play correctly, now I am sure.

Thanks guys.
Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Additionally:

After I awarded 3B and was thinking "should I award home?" the shortstop starts to argue with me that she should only be on second base. I looked at him funny and told him that it's 2 bases from the last base touched at the time of the throw, which is third base. He says "Well, yes she gets 2 bases - the one she's going to plus one." I just shook my head and told him to read the ASA book before playing ASA games...

Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I bet Tom could come up with some ethereal engineering principle along the line that no matter where a runner is or which way they are running, the runner is always "going to" the next base.
Old Mon Jul 04, 2005, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Hey, I'm an engineer, not a mystic!