The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 03, 2005, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

I would like some input on just what everybody thinks a "Slap-Hit" is in absolute terms.

It seems that no matter how you interpret the "Slap" there will be some argument from somewhere.

I teach more than one method.

1. From the more common left side which I see as nothing more than a "Drag-bunt" with a modified movement of the bat to create a swing through motion. (helps with them 3rd strike fouls)

2. From the contoversial right side as a "Fake" and "Draw" into a slap intended to place the ball over the heads of charging infielders. (not through them)

Every time I work with a new bunch of young fast-pitch players on Slapping I get the same reactions.

1. You can't slap from the right side coach!
2. You have to run at the ball first coach!
3. You have to hit it to the left side coach!
4. Just what is a slap anyway coach?

The first fast-pitch slap-hit I ever saw was from the right side on a "Fake and Draw" motion and it landed just past second base a little toward left-center. The 1st baseman and the 3rd baseman were charging while the 2nd baseman and the short-stop were shifting. What a hole!

Ever hear the rumors about Ty Cobb slapping?
Am I giving away my age here?

Old Sun Jul 03, 2005, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Coach12,

I umpire, not coach, so won't attempt to tell you how to make players understand
the slap.

What part of East Texas you from? I am from Woodville. Work a lot in Beaumont, Houston,
and Lufkin.

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun Jul 03, 2005, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Blue....thanks for a reply!

I coach the 10UB and 12UB levels out of the Kilgore-Longview area.

It's not so much getting young players to understand the slap that is the problem. These 10-12 year old girls believe what they hear from the first coach they hear it from. The first thing I tell them is that the world of fast-pitch softball extends outside the Kilgore city limits.

Every coach has his way of doing things and many think that their way is the only way however, we have the responsibility of mentoring these young people and we should endeavor to give them the best we have. The first thing I learned as a coach was to practice listening as much as or more than I speak.

I started playing ball in Illinois 42 years ago.
I've played in Georgia, Florida and Texas.
I had a man tell me recently that softball was created in Florida by a senior citizen's group in the late 60's.
When I tell people around Kilgore that I saw my first fast-pitch exhibition game in 1963 I am looked at as a nut.

Since I can't cut the mustard any more I just lick the jar and coach.

Your in a good area Blue......enjoy!

Old Mon Jul 04, 2005, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Coach,

I don't believe you are on the correct board for your post, but I'll add a little bit FWIW.

I happen to agree with the part abount not "slapping" from the right side. As you noted, this mechanic is a derivitive of the drag bunt and, as far as I'm concerned, you cannot "drag" a bunt from the right side.

What you are describing as a "fake and draw" is what I grew up knowing as hit it where they ain't or placing the ball. To me a slap is just that, slapping at the ball, seeking more control than power.

Maybe it is just a matter of terminology. Some feel that you have to have a label for everything and in softball, it seems that whatever isn't a bunt or a powerful swing is called a slap.

JMHO,