The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 09, 2005, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by scottk_61
... snip ...
Since that happened, the Florida Legislature passed a new law that was signed by the governor. The Lusford Act is the name of this revision of an existing law.
Florida Statute 1012.32.
... snip ...
Scott, I posted your comment on the NFHS soccer forum (one of my other lives) and one official in Florida said she "tried to find any information on this Florida Law but was unable to come up with it. Ditto on the Florida State Referee (FSR) site and the Florida Youth Soccer Association (FYSA) site, Further more, I have seen NO communication regarding this from the FHSAA (Florida High School Activities Association ) ...".
Can you help her find it, either responding here, or on NFHS Soccer?
Old Sat Jul 09, 2005, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne

[/B]
Scott, I posted your comment on the NFHS soccer forum (one of my other lives) and one official in Florida said she "tried to find any information on this Florida Law but was unable to come up with it. Ditto on the Florida State Referee (FSR) site and the Florida Youth Soccer Association (FYSA) site, Further more, I have seen NO communication regarding this from the FHSAA (Florida High School Activities Association ) ...".
Can you help her find it, either responding here, or on NFHS Soccer? [/B][/QUOTE]

I don't know where she is looking but there have been items posted on the FHSAA website and we expect another one by Tuesday as there is a meeting of the legal eagles in the state capitol on Monday.

Tell her to email my association email which is [email protected] and I will give her what we have.

We met last night with legislators, FHSAA staff, school board staff etc and some good ideas were bounced around.

According to the NFHS, no other state has the same requirement with regard to fingerprinting and the level of background check. That doesn't match what I have heard from members of other boards, so I am curious about that.

We did find out that the cost in this county is going to be 92 dollars for the check.
A lot of officials have already said that this will be the final straw to drive them out of officiating. For most officials, the costs of registering background check etc will exceed the pay we get for our first 4 maybe 5 games this year. That doesn't include the cost of uniforms and protective gear. This is going to kill recruiting of new officials.

[Edited by scottk_61 on Jul 9th, 2005 at 02:44 PM]
Old Sat Jul 09, 2005, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

I see a lot of good points here.

It has always been true that many laws make it harder on the just than the unjust but it still rains on both.
It would be a shame for it to come to a point where nobody will want to work with young people because of the restrictions placed upon us by society.

As a 50 year old softball coach who works with 9-12 year old girls it is very difficult. Many of these kids become just like grandchildren to me. At times they surround me like puppies just wanting attention. (which they likely don't get at home)

They want a hug when they do well or they want to hang on my arm coming of the field during a fun practice.

The thing is, a certain few demons in our society have made it where simply giving a kid a hug for doing a good job can be looked down on.

If we have to register ourselves and be examined to do the job we love I see that we have no other choice. Putting up with the way things are is tough right now, that is true but I think it will just get worse.

My 13 year old daughter is priceless to me, as are all the kids I work with.

Coach12
Old Sat Jul 09, 2005, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

N.Y.S. mandates a criminal backround and fingerprint check to officiate at atheltic contests involving High school or Middle school students.The cost is $134.00.Some associations will help with the costs.All in all I believe it's a good law.
Old Sun Jul 10, 2005, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by LIIRISHMAN
N.Y.S. mandates a criminal backround and fingerprint check to officiate at atheltic contests involving High school or Middle school students.The cost is $134.00.Some associations will help with the costs.All in all I believe it's a good law.
I have talked to some of the people who just attended the NFHS conference last week. All of them said that no state requires the background check like that.........
Can you get me any information that I might be able to give to our people?

BTW, I know some softball umpires from upstate NY who say that they are not doing the background check. Are the just illegal or is something else going on?

Thnaks.

Email me though the forum and we can take this private if you wish.

Scott
Old Mon Jul 11, 2005, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

I do games for section XI(governing body for Suffolk county school sports) located in Suffolk county New York.I may have misspoke regarding a state mandated backround check.However here in Suffolk county no one can officiate a school game without the criminal backround check.The way it works is you're fingerprinted and your info is sent to the state. Any discrepancies and you're banned from officiating.I was under the impression that all of New York was under this type of scrutiny.The liability issue alone would make you think that all governing bodies would be supporting the backround investigation of prospective officials.
Old Mon Jul 11, 2005, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Here's a thought.

That means that they don't drop off little Jenny and let the team be the baby-sitter.
If this one thing would stop, I believe this issue would just about take care of itself. You have hit the nail in the head.

GaryB
Old Mon Jul 11, 2005, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

I ump in Section VI in New York (Western NY). The legislation was called Project SAVE. This site may provide some help:

http://www.mhric.org/scss/save.html

The fingerprinting and background checks are just part of this bill. Look in the "Components of SAVE", page three, for a synopsis. (Sorry, I couldn't cut and paste it into here)

[Edited by blue_ape on Jul 11th, 2005 at 01:57 PM]
Old Tue Jul 12, 2005, 04:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to ukumpire
Child Protection Act, UK

We have had the CRB (Children's Protection Bureau) in place for several years now in the UK. All umpires have to ungo a Clearance check, (as do teachers, coaches, child minders, or anyone that works with children)
Difference is that our association pays for all CRB Checks, and the law only takes into account certain past offences.
Old Tue Jul 12, 2005, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

In Washington (state), anyone who does school ball must submit to a background check. The fee is $30 (but I think it is going up). After one of the papers did a big expose on coaches who were predators and were found to be moving from one school to another, they are coming down much harder on folks around these parts.

BTW, in ASA, all JO coaches whose teams participate in championship play are required (well, they are supposed to...and a commissioner could lose their position for non-compliance) to complete "ACE" certification. Part of the "ACE" certification is proper conduct with regards to their players. The fee for this comes out of the coaches' pockets.

(Incidentally, part of the class also entails how to better deal with umpires. Since I taught the first-year coaches' class this year, we spent a little more time on the coach-umpire relationship. I don't know if it helped, but it couldn't hurt. You might want to pursue something like this in your area, too.)
Old Wed Jul 13, 2005, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

No Joke

The coach that was featured on the front page of the paper for that story was my high school basketball coach and gym teacher. Coincidentally, he and his wife bought the house that my great grandmother lived in until she died when I was 14. I mowed the lawn. He was a predator, but only went after girls as far as I know. One of the girls that sued him, also sued the school district and even the coaches wife (since she reportedly know about the affair). It messed up the girls pretty bad, and after he was forced out (quietly) from my High School he went to one just over the mountains and did the same thing. An example of how the system was not followed and a bad person kept doing bad things to good kids. I will pay whatever it costs to umpire if it saves one kid from coming into contact with the wrong person!