View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 09, 2005, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne

[/B]
Scott, I posted your comment on the NFHS soccer forum (one of my other lives) and one official in Florida said she "tried to find any information on this Florida Law but was unable to come up with it. Ditto on the Florida State Referee (FSR) site and the Florida Youth Soccer Association (FYSA) site, Further more, I have seen NO communication regarding this from the FHSAA (Florida High School Activities Association ) ...".
Can you help her find it, either responding here, or on NFHS Soccer? [/B][/QUOTE]

I don't know where she is looking but there have been items posted on the FHSAA website and we expect another one by Tuesday as there is a meeting of the legal eagles in the state capitol on Monday.

Tell her to email my association email which is [email protected] and I will give her what we have.

We met last night with legislators, FHSAA staff, school board staff etc and some good ideas were bounced around.

According to the NFHS, no other state has the same requirement with regard to fingerprinting and the level of background check. That doesn't match what I have heard from members of other boards, so I am curious about that.

We did find out that the cost in this county is going to be 92 dollars for the check.
A lot of officials have already said that this will be the final straw to drive them out of officiating. For most officials, the costs of registering background check etc will exceed the pay we get for our first 4 maybe 5 games this year. That doesn't include the cost of uniforms and protective gear. This is going to kill recruiting of new officials.

[Edited by scottk_61 on Jul 9th, 2005 at 02:44 PM]