The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Hello,

Not and umpire or coach, just a curious dad: Fly ball to left, runner on 3rd tags, catcher is about 4 feet up the line blocking the baseline and plate ( of course ). Is this obstruction ? Does the catch have to be in possesion of the ball in order to block the plate.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks !
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ToledoCYOBlue
Almost all obstruction calls are "had to be there," but in the play you describe, I would probably have obstruction.

If the runner was forced to deviate from her path (i.e. slow down, stop, go around) by a defensive player who

A) isn't fielding a batted ball, or
B) isn't in possession of the ball

you have obstruction. This assumes that you didn't have interference on the play, or other such unusual situations.

Charlie
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you Charlie That's helpful.
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Toledo said it, but didn't stress the 2nd item that's important to an OBS call, Hardtail. A catcher in the basepath without the ball is not yet obstruction. Said catcher has to cause the runner to deviate from her path (ie - go around, slow down, return, bump into, etc). If the catcher is there without the ball, runner is still a decent distance away and doesn't slow - you don't have OBS yet.

Had one umpire I was training call OBS when F2 merely crossed the baseline without the ball. Runner wasn't even looking at F2 when it happened, and the ball ended up coming in WAY before runner (runner never altered).
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ToledoCYOBlue
Good point Mike...as the biggest point of confusion with the OBS rule, that certainly bears emphasizing.

BTW, the removal of the "about to receive...thrown ball" language certainly has made this rule easier to enforce. But I've spent much more time with my arm out, and dealt with many more unhappy defensive coaches and players than ever before this season.

Charlie
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

It should have cleared up this rule, but not for all. I was coaching a 14U team this weekend (I know the dark side). Had a play at first where fielder was pulled into runners path. Runner slowed down 1-2 steps shy of the bag due to fielders position and actually contacted the fielder just prior to the ball being caught. BU rung her up. I (coaching 1st base so I think I had a decent angle on the play) asked BU, "sir, didn't my runner slow down due to the fielders position prior to her having the ball?" His response "She was going after the throw." I said, " so she didn't have position of the ball when my runner slowed down?", "she was going after the ball" me "If she slowed down and the fielder didn't have position of the ball that is by rule OBS" BU "She was going after the ball no OBS" I said "OK" as there was a "No protest, all umpires decisions are final" policy in this tournament. So Charlie I agree the wording change SHOULD have made it easier to enforce, but some aren't quiet to the point of actually enforcing it yet!!!!!!!
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

Thank you again for your replies.