The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 25, 2005, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

I just spoke to a zone umpire-in-chief in Ontario today about this situation. He says the new philosophy is not to go out and "babysit" the pitcher--just give the count and the outs to everyone once the new pitcher's warm-ups have been completed. It used to be common practice to give the pitcher a personal update, but now it's considered coaching. Thanks for all the input, people. It is appreciated.
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Throw me in for the first vote in the "Don't do that - it's coaching" category. I clinic my guys not to do this. I do, however, tell them that after any long delay, PU should hold up the number of outs just before making the ball live, and say it loud enough for batter and catcher. If there is a count after a delay like this, I would signal it as well.

To me - the practice of having BU walking out to the mound, out of position, to do this is annoying and delaying. And if you feel it's important information to impart after a delay, why don't you walk around the bases mentioning it to the runners as well? I think this looks VERY unprofessional. When I see someone I'm working with for the first time do this, I know he's going to be one of those guys who has to come visit with me between every half inning - something else that looks very unprofessional.
Exactly.

Though I'm not the out giving kind of guy. Only person I ever signal the outs to is my BU and when asked by a participant. If the pitcher assumed a count, as a PU I'll give her the count and that is it.

Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

As I stated earlier, as PU I will give the outs and count after a long delay (minute or more). However, I saw a blue last night that took it to the extreme. Every time a new batter came up it was "ok ladies, (x number) outs, no count". I was a spectator and was getting really annoyed by it as often as it was done. It's starting to make me rethink my position. I may only give the count from now on, outs if asked only.

-Josh
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

A friend of mine, quite the smart@$$, once had a slowpitch umpire tell him as he approached the batters box, "1 out, no count." He stopped, looked at the umpire, and said, "Really? No count? Are you sure?" As I cringed anticipating the ejection (wouldn't have been his first ... and I realized I probably would have tossed him had I been PU), instead I saw the umpire just look embarrassed. PU didn't do it again the rest of the game.

PS - regarding the out announcements - I do it every time there's a long delay (pitcher change, offensive conference, or injury), and every time the number of outs changes.
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
I do it every time there's a long delay (pitcher change, offensive conference, or injury), and every time the number of outs changes.
If you have one of those innings and you look at your indicator and say to yourself "Is THAT all the outs there are?"... you'd better be announcing the outs a couple of times between outs, too!

I see nothing wrong with announcing the outs fairly regularly. OTOH, the "no count" with a new batter is silly. The umpire should have been embarassed.
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by U_of_I_Blue
... I saw a blue last night that took it to the extreme. Every time a new batter came up it was "ok ladies, (x number) outs, no count". I was a spectator and was getting really annoyed by it as often as it was done.
That was my recent-ex-style, which I've pretty much abandoned over the last few days. You're right ... it's pretty bush league. I do like the sotto voce-to-catcher tactic suggested by ASA/NYSSOBLUE earlier -- will use it again tonight (if we don't get rained out!!).

Now, to get to work on the rest of my game Thanks, folks!
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
OTOH, the "no count" with a new batter is silly. The umpire should have been embarassed.
Wait until next year.
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
OTOH, the "no count" with a new batter is silly. The umpire should have been embarassed.
Wait until next year.
You're not saying there is a move to make this the recommended mechanic!

I stand by "silly."
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you have one of those innings and you look at your indicator and say to yourself "Is THAT all the outs there are?"... you'd better be announcing the outs a couple of times between outs, too!
...usually followed by "how much time is left in this game?"
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by orioles35
Quote:
...usually followed by "how much time is left in this game?"
This actually becomes relevant if the games have time limits---which in some cases can be a good thing
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Wait until next year.
You're not saying there is a move to make this the recommended mechanic!

I stand by "silly."
No, but in the SP game, it is very possible that there will be a count when a new batter comes to the plate next year.
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 02:11am
Official Forum Member

Hopefully what mike mentioned wont happen....but in local leagues the count can start at 1 and 1.. so the first week of the season, I may give the first couple of batters the starting count...after that they are on their own.
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 06:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by azbigdawg
Hopefully what mike mentioned wont happen....but in local leagues the count can start at 1 and 1.. so the first week of the season, I may give the first couple of batters the starting count...after that they are on their own.
If last year was an indicator, it will happen this year.

For SP it is not a bad thing. Even at the national level players were stepping in the box EXPECTING a one-one count. The only difference is that ASA will probably include a courtesy foul.

Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

there is not point to it...even LESS of a point of you are going to include the courtesy foul....
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

I understand the 1 and 1 count in local leagues where time limits of 60 minutes are in use, but I can't imagine why they would want to change this in tournament and championship play. If I were still playing SP, I would be really upset if I heard this rule change was coming.