The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Trying to get a feel for when I should give time to runner who makes it safely to base on slide and then asks for time. Situation this evening involves only one runner on bases. The runner safely slides into 3B. Throw from center field veers off to the right of 3B. As soon as runner is on 3B, she raises her hand and asks for time. I call out time and then notice that the ball has gone past all fielders and is still rolling toward fence in foul territory. Should I have given time to the runner that quickly with no defensive player in control of the ball? As base ump, I really don't know the exact location of the ball because I am concentrating more on the play at 3B with the runner and F6--watching for obstruction or a no-slide collision, etc. With the runner calling time like that, she has only hurt herself by taking away her opportunity to score on the overthrow or bad throw to 3B.

Also, what if runner calls time after safely sliding into 3B and ball ends up going into dead ball area after time called. If it is appropriate for me to give her time in that situation with no one in control of the ball, I wouldn't give her the extra base or bases on the overthrow into dead ball area--time was called and granted before ball made it to dead ball area. Any thoughts.

Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 02:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stair-Climber
Trying to get a feel for when I should give time to runner who makes it safely to base on slide and then asks for time. Situation this evening involves only one runner on bases. The runner safely slides into 3B. Throw from center field veers off to the right of 3B. As soon as runner is on 3B, she raises her hand and asks for time. I call out time and then notice that the ball has gone past all fielders and is still rolling toward fence in foul territory. Should I have given time to the runner that quickly with no defensive player in control of the ball? As base ump, I really don't know the exact location of the ball because I am concentrating more on the play at 3B with the runner and F6--watching for obstruction or a no-slide collision, etc. With the runner calling time like that, she has only hurt herself by taking away her opportunity to score on the overthrow or bad throw to 3B.

(A)..NEVER call time without finding the ball, and making sure no other action is taking place.

Also, what if runner calls time after safely sliding into 3B and ball ends up going into dead ball area after time called. If it is appropriate for me to give her time in that situation with no one in control of the ball, I wouldn't give her the extra base or bases on the overthrow into dead ball area--time was called and granted before ball made it to dead ball area. Any thoughts.

(A)..Ball in DBT, the ball is DEAD. No need to call time.

REPEAT AFTER ME, "Players, managers, coaches, do not call time out. Umpires do".

Bob

[Edited by bluezebra on Jun 14th, 2005 at 03:15 AM]
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

You may not be concentrating on the ball when she REQUESTS time... but when she does, look around. Make sure play is, in fact, over. No runners with any possibility of moving. No ball rolling around, etc. THEN call time if warranted (softball is a live-ball sport. There's no need for time between every play. If runner truly needs time (lost her helmet, shoe untied, etc) grant it - but if not, there's no need to call time if these runners are requesting it after every advance.
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Wait until the ball is in the circle. If R1 is still on the ground an F5 has the ball, holding the tag on R1, the play is not over yet.

R must stand up without breaking contact with the base if F is holding the tag.

F must successfully get the ball in the circle, as R may advance on an errant throw.

Don't kill the play unless there is an apprent serious injury. This way, you know where the ball is.

Don't grant TIME until the ball is in the circle and the runners have stopped, or DBT.
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 08:47am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
Quote:
Originally posted by Stair-Climber
Trying to get a feel for when I should give time to runner who makes it safely to base on slide and then asks for time. Situation this evening involves only one runner on bases. The runner safely slides into 3B. Throw from center field veers off to the right of 3B. As soon as runner is on 3B, she raises her hand and asks for time. I call out time and then notice that the ball has gone past all fielders and is still rolling toward fence in foul territory. Should I have given time to the runner that quickly with no defensive player in control of the ball?
(A)..NEVER call time without finding the ball, and making sure no other action is taking place.
Stair-Climber,
I'm with bluezebra here. Wait until the ball is secure and no further activity is imminent.

As you get more and more games under your belt, all the action will slow down for you, and you'll have a broader and more clear awareness of all the actions on the field.
mick

Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tcannizzo
Wait until the ball is in the circle. If R1 is still on the ground an F5 has the ball, holding the tag on R1, the play is not over yet.

F must successfully get the ball in the circle, as R may advance on an errant throw.

Don't kill the play unless there is an apprent serious injury. This way, you know where the ball is.

Don't grant TIME until the ball is in the circle and the runners have stopped, or DBT.
I would consider this borderline over-officious.

Can you cite the part that requires a runner to be standing erect on a base before an umpire can kill the ball. If the play is over, it's over.

Just how long would you wait to kill the ball? What if the runner was content to remain prone until play was suspended? BTW, I did exactly that a few years back when I was playing. An umpire would not kill the ball, so I just laid back, still in contact with the base, pulled my hat over my face and told him I had all night. He eventually killed the ball, I got up and the game went on.
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
I would consider this borderline over-officious.
I would consider you to be borderline correct. >;-))

Quote:
Can you cite the part that requires a runner to be standing erect on a base before an umpire can kill the ball. If the play is over, it's over.
I didn't say I would kill the play when the basrunner was standing erect on the base.

Quote:
Just how long would you wait to kill the ball? What if the runner was content to remain prone until play was suspended? BTW, I did exactly that a few years back when I was playing. An umpire would not kill the ball, so I just laid back, still in contact with the base, pulled my hat over my face and told him I had all night. He eventually killed the ball, I got up and the game went on.
Not sure if I would've told that one Mike. lol
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

I don't know...if a baserunner is erect on a base, I think we have a different problem...
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by orioles35
I don't know...if a baserunner is erect on a base, I think we have a different problem...
Longer than 4 hours requires immediate medical attention.
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Gives a whole new meaning to "Getting up for the game"
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tcannizzo
Where do you find that requirement? I'm with Mike. An umpire who will not call TIME at the request of a runner in this situation is being OO.
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Especially if it's a girl's game.
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Especially if it's a girl's game.
OH, my! Tell me you didn't go there! LOL!
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

MOM, they are at it again....

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 01:43pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

It's no wonder so many umps are blind.