The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Jewelry "ON US" ? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/20583-jewelry-us.html)

chuck chopper Fri May 27, 2005 09:11am

Hate to sound like an old hag, but with the "new blood" coming into umpiring now Jewelry is becoming a factor. Would like to know how UIC's out there are handling it. Or any opinions for that matter. My 2 cent opinion is it is hardly professional to have Umps with ear rings, and face/tongue piercings come to do a game. All the while we are enforcing NO jewelry in our leagues.

Antonella Fri May 27, 2005 09:37am

You are right: it can't be professional wearing earrings. And you couldn't go to players pretending to enforce 'no jewelry' rule if you wear it on your own.
That's why I put away my 5 (five) earring each and every time before a game... (serious).

A.

SRW Fri May 27, 2005 10:08am

Seattle Metro

The only jewelry we're allowed are wedding rings. I've been the recipient numerous times of "take your damn earrings out" from the site UIC. To be honest, I just plainly forget about them, not that I'm trying to change the style or culture. I take them out when I remember (or am reminded). No problems.

Andy Fri May 27, 2005 10:54am

Agreed...the "do as I say, not as I do" thing just doesn't work well with the jewelry. I only wear a wedding band and another ring that I got from work, but the only thing that is on when I work a game is the wedding band.

And that's only because I know that if I take it off, my cell phone will ring immediately and my wife will demand to know why I am not wearing my wedding band! :eek:

U of M Sam Fri May 27, 2005 09:21pm

I agree that wedding bands should be the only jewelry we, as umpires, wear during games we work. I think any additional jewelry worn by umpires looks very unprofessional.
Thanks,
Sam

chris s Sat May 28, 2005 02:05am

I differ

My association dicourages it, but no penalty. I wear a diamond stud in left ear, not some big hoop, or one of those stupid tongue "balls" that I see these guys jerk themselfs with.
However, I'm not sliding into base or diving for flys, or getting tagged with a leather glove.......as long as it's small, big deal

Dutch Alex Mon May 30, 2005 05:36am

Quote:

Originally posted by Andy
And that's only because I know that if I take it off, my cell phone will ring immediately and my wife will demand to know why I am not wearing my wedding band! :eek:
Before I take off my wedding ring I always turn off my cell phone first!!!

The moment I enter the dressroom at the club, or a room where we umpires are welcomed by the club my cell phone is out. I won't be disturbed when concentrating before a game.

I take off the ring because a ball on a finger can break it. Then the medics will cut the ring off... That's no worth it, a small thing to do is taking the ring off. Even at work I don't wear it, wearing jewelry is not done in the dutch chemical process-industry!