The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 01:16am
Never Stop Learning

How much of a beating do you take behind the plate before you do something about it. I just got done with a varsity game and got plunked no less then 8 times in varies assundry places. It wasn't because of foul balls. The pitcher was pitching at 50 to 55 mph and about 35 feet consistintley. I have umped her games many times before but she just wasn't on tonight. The coaching staff just sat on their hands until I walked over and told them that one of them needed to go talk to her and calm her down. What are some ways that you guys have delt with this. I'm not a light weight but I'm not a backstop either.
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 06:00am
Official Forum Member

Ed,You were talking to them about the wrong player. The catcher is the one
that needed the talk.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to buddha69
Quote:
Originally posted by whiskers_ump
that needed the talk.
I'm with Glen on this, the catcher is the one that needs the talking.

I also had a game like that but in a small age group Midgets (11-12). The catcher would catch the ball that would hit in front of the plate, but would not catch a ball that would come in the strike zone. Balls would get by her and runners where stealing left and right.

Coach after the game wants to speak her mind about the game. "My catcher said "You where telling her to catch the ball," I answer "YES! I did!". All I ask her is to catch the balls or the runners would steal and score. The game ended after the bottom of the third. They got run ruled on!!!

POINT FREAKIN BLANK!!! CATCH THE FREAKIN BALL!!!!!!!!!!
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by buddha69
Quote:
that needed the talk.

I also had a game like that but in a small age group Midgets (11-12). The catcher would catch the ball that would hit in front of the plate, but would not catch a ball that would come in the strike zone. Balls would get by her and runners where stealing left and right.

Coach after the game wants to speak her mind about the game. "My catcher said "You where telling her to catch the ball," I answer "YES! I did!". All I ask her is to catch the balls or the runners would steal and score. The game ended after the bottom of the third. They got run ruled on!!!

A few years ago,I was doing a 10u FP game and the catcher wasn't catching anything either. I must have took 15 pitches off of my arms and hands and thighs. I asked her if she would try a little harder to catch the ball (in a nice way)to which she told me that her coach stuck her back there since it was her time to catch. I waited until we were in between innings and I called the coach over and told her that I am doing the umpiring and I did not want catching duties also. I told her to either tell the girl to make an effort to catch the ball or get me another catcher. She got me another catcher. I guess she thought I would take it out on her team if the girl wasn't going to catch it which I wasn't going to do.
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dsimp8
Quote:
Originally posted by buddha69
Quote:
that needed the talk.

A few years ago,I was doing a 10u FP game and the catcher wasn't catching anything either. I must have took 15 pitches off of my arms and hands and thighs. I asked her if she would try a little harder to catch the ball (in a nice way)to which she told me that her coach stuck her back there since it was her time to catch. I waited until we were in between innings and I called the coach over and told her that I am doing the umpiring and I did not want catching duties also. I told her to either tell the girl to make an effort to catch the ball or get me another catcher. She got me another catcher. I guess she thought I would take it out on her team if the girl wasn't going to catch it which I wasn't going to do.
you're a patient man to wait til you got hit the 15th time.
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

I was working a U10 and the catcher, who was only 8, would actually dodge, dip, duck, dive, and dodge out of the way. I got hit on just about every pitch. As I was working for an neighboring association, I did not want them to think our association was weak or afraid, so I just took the beating. After it was over the tournament UIC told me I should have asked for a better catcher. So the new guys didn't think I was afraid, they just thought I was stupid.

I have also told catchers that I don't really care if the catch the ball, but they can at least deflect it. That works for adult co-ed, but not with U10s.
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Love these guys that tell other umpires they should request that the manager make changes in his lineup solely for the extra comfort of the umpire. How do you know that's not their best catcher (this is 10U afterall - and no one has had to stop a pitch at all before this age)...

What if the only other girl that can catch is their best fielder? You "demand" (I've heard umpires use that word in this context) a better catcher, so he has to put the only athlete he has behind the plate, and now, because the umpire is afraid to get hit... by a pitch thrown by a 10 year old girl... this team loses the game because they have to put a lesser fielder at first base.

Buggbob - you were not stupid. Your UIC may have been.

The initial post, about VARSITY ball, is a different story. I just can't believe the number of times on here I read about this at 10U.
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

The only times you wish you would have brought the External Chest Protector

Old Thu May 26, 2005, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

This much

Quote:
Originally posted by Dukat

Not really, at a varsity game last week, I had one go between the catcher's legs and bounce straight up. The cup didn't help one bit. I lost the count!
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Re: This much

Quote:
Originally posted by WinterWillie
Quote:

Not really, at a varsity game last week, I had one go between the catcher's legs and bounce straight up. The cup didn't help one bit. I lost the count!

I hope the count was two.
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: This much

Quote:
Originally posted by ntxblue
Quote:
Originally posted by WinterWillie
Quote:

I hope the count was two.
2 and 1.
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

The count was really 2 and OHHHHHHH!
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Original question (paraphrasing): How long do you take the beating before you do something about it?

Answer: Till the game is over.

I'm definitely no macho man but I would never tell a coach at any level to put a different player in the game. I might (and have) set up in a more protective stance if it gets ridiculous (and it sometimes does). Wear all the gear and take the beating if the softball gods so deem it that game.

Old Thu May 26, 2005, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Little Jimmy

I'm definitely no macho man but I would never tell a coach at any level to put a different player in the game. I might (and have) set up in a more protective stance if it gets ridiculous (and it sometimes does).
I wouldn't tell a coach how to do his job but I wouldn't take it either. I would move behind the mound to call the game and to he11 with what proper mechanics are.
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

I worked a 10 and under B tournament this past weekend. The first pool game, the coach decided his pitcher needed to work on drop pitches. They all hit the groind in front of the plate. The catcher was sort of trying but she is 9 and could not block them. I was hit 18 times the first inning. Some of them where I had no protection. After gieeing hit with the first 3 pitches in the 2nd inning I asked the coach to quit calling drops and explained why. He talked to his catcher about trying to block the pitches. The coach continued to throw drops, the pitcher bounced them in front of the plate, the catcher still could not block them and I continued to get hit. I finally backed up to about 5 ft in front of the backstop to call pitches. The coach called time, told me I could not see the pitches from that location and I could not tell him what pitches he could call for his pitcher. I agreed with him o both counts. He told me I was getting paid, to do my job and I needed to move up. i told him I was getting paid to call balls and strikes, not be a backstop and I would be calling from this position when his kid pitched. I moved back up when the other team pitched. I don't mind getting hit occasionally and I know it is part of the game for 10 & unders, but I will not continually take a beating for something that should be worked on in practice. Fortunately, we had 55 min drop dead with 5 runs per half inning during pool play.