The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Some things are called the way they are called. You'd suggest rewriting the rulebook here. Do you also suggest that MLB rewrite theirs to say something like, "F4 or F6 need not actually touch 2nd base on the first half of a double play as long as they get close."?
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Some things are called the way they are called. You'd suggest rewriting the rulebook here.
Not re-writing the rulebook, just eliminate the IP for the crow hop and leap. I have been to many DII and DIII games the last 3 years. The game officials will not make that call under any cicumstances at the college level so I suggest we end any controversy by just eliminating the rule. Very simple, everyone will be happy.
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NSABlue
Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Some things are called the way they are called. You'd suggest rewriting the rulebook here.
Not re-writing the rulebook, just eliminate the IP for the crow hop and leap. I have been to many DII and DIII games the last 3 years. The game officials will not make that call under any cicumstances at the college level so I suggest we end any controversy by just eliminating the rule.
Funny. In just the games that I worked at the college level this year, I know of four umpires who made this call. That's just the games I worked. I find it hard to believe that they are the only ones making this call.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

I can assure you that your friend (I know who you're referring to) would not call the IP because none of them would. Would you want to be the only umpire that calls it when no one has called it all year? I don't think so. All I'm saying is that if the officials won't call it then take it out of the book.

Funny, I just talked to him. He said that there were over 15 illegal pitches called against one pitcher in the tournament. There was also a former olympic umpire at this tournament. While I haven't talked to her, I feel quite sure that she wouldn't have any problem calling an illegal pitch on anyone she saw.

While I personally think the women should be able to pitch the same way the men do, that is not my decision and I see the illegal pitch enforced all the time. We cover it in pregames, especially if we have a pitcher that we know throws illegally and the illegal pitch is called when it happens.

Old Wed May 25, 2005, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwes68
Tennessee's Monica Abbott (45-7) threw a no-hitter on Sunday, her sixth of the season. One walk in the fifth was all that kept her from a perfect game. She has not allowed a run yet in NCAA tournament play.

And best I could tell, she doesn't leap.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

Abbot played high school here where i am at, North Salinas High, kid can deal!!!!!!
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

NSAUmp,

First of all I know most of the umpires that worked the DIII Series and I know for a fact that if a pitcher was illegal then it would have been called.

Second of all, I(we) call mostly D1 ball and I know for a fact that based on the game reports we have seen, illegal pitches were called at a record number this year. In fact a team lost(Major D1 conference) because of a IP call in the 6th inning.

It's called more than you may think...The diffence is that when on the field we don't have the benifit of super-slow-mo replay and then the commentary of the know nothing talking heads in the booth.

Thanks.....
Old Tue May 31, 2005, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

I have had the pleasure of watching Cat, Lisa, and Jenny up very close and personal. I have paid very close attention to the proported infractions. IMHO they push the envelope to the absolute limit ... and yes on a rare instance there is an infraction. But very rare.

As for any ump who does not call a rule infraction at any level ... perhaps they should reevaluate themselves. Some are better simply being spectators.

JMHO.

Regards,

John

Old Tue May 31, 2005, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by umpire34974

As for any ump who does not call a rule infraction at any level ... perhaps they should reevaluate themselves. Some are better simply being spectators.

JMHO.

Regards,

John
It isn't always up to the umpire. There are times when the umpire is told what they will and will not call.

Old Tue May 31, 2005, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DNTXUM P
I can assure you that your friend (I know who you're referring to) would not call the IP because none of them would. Would you want to be the only umpire that calls it when no one has called it all year? I don't think so. All I'm saying is that if the officials won't call it then take it out of the book.

Funny, I just talked to him. He said that there were over 15 illegal pitches called against one pitcher in the tournament. There was also a former olympic umpire at this tournament. While I haven't talked to her, I feel quite sure that she wouldn't have any problem calling an illegal pitch on anyone she saw.

We're going to agree to disagree here. I don't disagree that some IP's were called, but they were not called on a crow hop or a leap. Last night I picked up all the pictures that I took at the world series. I had taken several pictures as she delivered the ball and the pictures show exactly what I saw while at the games. She crow hops at least 18" on every pitch. The photos clearly show the picher with her foot flat on the ground, 18" in front of the pitchers plate with the ball in her hand at about the 1 o:clock position. If that's not the result of a crow hop then I don't know what else to call it. I realize it would be very unpopular to call it every pitch so it just gets ignored. As I said, remove the crow hop and leap from the rulebook and everyone will be happy.
Old Tue May 31, 2005, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As I said, remove the crow hop and leap from the rulebook and everyone will be happy.
Hell, now you're on my bandwagon. Move the PP back 6', keep the circle and let them do anything they want with their feet as long as they start from a dead stop while in contact with the PP.

The only restriction would be that the pitcher's feet cannot leave the circle. You can even go to a 10' circle, don't care.

Allows the coaches, pitchers and umpires to concentrate on more important parts of the game.

Old Tue May 31, 2005, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
As I said, remove the crow hop and leap from the rulebook and everyone will be happy.
Hell, now you're on my bandwagon.

Mike,
Been reading your posts for two years and have great respect for you opinions. Move over and I'll climb on board.
Old Tue May 31, 2005, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Amen, brutha!
Old Tue May 31, 2005, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

I've seen Abbott

Girl has it going on, come on 6-2 lefty......now lets look at Schultzer...outa see the younger one. Notre Dame grad, just won another high school champ, 7th in a row, I believe.............
Old Tue May 31, 2005, 07:56pm

Nice job, KELLERUMPS and DNTXUM P. While I am not a Big XII official, I do work with some in other conferences and in our crew in the summer. These are solid officials and work for a coordinator who would not look too kindly on his guys/gals being afraid to call IPs or anything else. Their integrity should not be called into question so easily. I too wonder how many of these posters actually work at the level they frequently comment on.
Old Wed Jun 01, 2005, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BHBlue
Their integrity should not be called into question so easily. I too wonder how many of these posters actually work at the level they frequently comment on.
Gee, I guess I woke up in a country where you're not allowed an opinion!