Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Alameda
One question.

Are you all writing down how many runs score each half inning on the back of the lineup cards? That's how I know what inning it is.

Again, on the indicator, I only use the innings to keep track of runs scored. It's not my job to know, but sure makes me look more professional when inning after inning me and the score keeper or in complete agreement.
I don't care how many runs score, not my problem. Then again, I've never worked a game with an inning run limit. BTW, what happens if you miss a run or you and the scorekeeper do not agree?

If there is a "run-ahead" rule, I will have a sense when the game is reaching that point. In more cases than not, and that is almost always, the team leading will offer this information without it being solicited.
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Well, the official score keeper is the word. So if we differ, I go with his/her count. That's only happened on the big innings with tons of runs.

This is not meant to be smart, but do you not really care/know the run total until after the half-inning when you get the total from the score keeper?

I ask because, as a rookie, I was affraid of looking foolish if I didn't know myself.

So vet umpire suggested I do what she does, use the inning counter for runs.
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Alameda

This is not meant to be smart, but do you not really care/know the run total until after the half-inning when you get the total from the score keeper?
I don't even know then because I don't ask, nor care.

The score of the game is not the umpire's issue.

You may have some local rules that dumps additional duties on umpires, but that is not a general issue.

The umpire should not care about the score. An umpire who constantly asks for scores makes a questionable out call to keep the tying run from scoring in the 7th is asking for trouble.

It doesn't make any difference whether the perception of bias is correct or not, but the fact that it is possible at all is a problem.

Old Thu May 12, 2005, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
I use the +POS BB169 plastic indicator:

Quoting their marketing hype:
Quote:
FEATURES:
- LARGER NUMBERS - easily readable under poor lighting
- Ball & Strikes IN PROPER ORDER - the way you announce them.
- UNUSED NUMBERS ELIMINATED (strike 3, Ball 4 Out 3)
When was the last time you used these digits on your old indicator.
- EASIER OPERATING KNOBS - ends struggling to change count with sweaty fingers.
- SHADOW-PROOF WINDOWS - no more twisting and turning to read in poor light.
- LARGER to fit in umpireĀ¹s hand more comfortably.
I find all of this to be true. I have no complaints with it. I found a copy-cat from Honigs at $1 more that I bought as my backup since I was placing an order there anyway. It feels just a little more cheaply built than the original +POS. The +POS one has taken more than a few whacks from wild pitches and the like, been stepped on, etc. Just knock the dirt out and it keeps on ticking. Ruggedly built.

Having the ball-strike indicators in the opposite order from most other indicators feels more natural once you get used to it. It would make it a PITA to borrow another kind from someone else in a pinch, however.
DITTO,
Really like 'em.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.