View Single Post
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 10:43am
Ref Ump Welsch

I use one of the steel ones, as they sure last a lot longer than the plastic ones. I do keep my old plastic ones, as I always keep one in my pocket. Use it to keep track innings (see next paragraph why). I also keep that plastic one in the pocket that's on the side of the field in which the visitor team's bench is located, so that way I don't screw up who's home or who's visitor.

Mike, you ask about why we need to know innings. Some of these lower level rec leagues, you as an umpire better know what inning it is in order to make sure the run rule is enforced correctly. I've actually heard of games being protested because the umpires didn't enforce the run rule correctly as they didn't keep track of the innings. I don't know if those protests were upheld or denied, but was told that there were a few.

All of my little quirks with the plastic indicator in the pocket is to cover my *** so that I don't end up with a protested game because some idiot couldn't give me the right info. If I have at least a knowledge of which inning, and who's home and visitor, then when they give me the score, I'll know where we are at in the game.