Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 14, 2005, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Dakota,
Thanks for the reply.
I will look it up.

Mike,
It would have helped me if I had known you were referring to a left handed umpire being given that option to use his left hand in the punch out. Now that I know it, the information seems to make good sense.

Thanks again Dakota.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Sun May 15, 2005, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Nevermind!
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by orioles35
My lesson in selling a call came a couple of years ago. Not a big game, not a pain in the *** coach, but I was BU and had a banger at first. I mean, to this DAY I've never had a closer call. Without hesitation, I made the "out" call and probably vocalized this call as loud as I possibly could. There's no WAY anyone could have possibly known if this runner was out or safe. Then from the dugout I hear "was he out"? I refrained from looking there, as I usually do but quickly figured out this statement was directed at the first base coach, who just shrugged. No one had any idea, myself included. But because I so emphatically made the out call, no one protested and the game went on as usual.
My lesson happened in the Mens 45 & over FP Nationals in 2002. I was the 1BU, play at first, BR out by a little less than a step, I thought it was a pretty clear and easy call, so I gave a routine out call. The offense came unglued!

I noticed that the UIC was watching, so I asked him about it after the game. He said the routine out call on a close play appeared indecisive, so it gave the offensive team more reason to question the call. He told me that had I "sold" that out call, they may have still griped about it, but probably a lot less.
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 06:10am
Official Forum Member

Somewhere I seem to recall being taught in 2-man mechanics as the base umpire to always use the overhand out on the 2nd half of a double play, even if it is not that close.

Can anyone confirm or refute that?

Thanks..
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by UmpireErnie
Somewhere I seem to recall being taught in 2-man mechanics as the base umpire to always use the overhand out on the 2nd half of a double play, even if it is not that close.

Can anyone confirm or refute that?

Thanks..
That is what is taught, and is usually appropriate 'cause the backend of that play is close. However, when it isn't close, I suggest you either shorten the overhand to a punch or stick with the routine out. BTW, when I say "isn't close", I mean the runner is more than a full stride away from the base when the ball arrives.

Old Wed May 18, 2005, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Lets not also forget to sell when there might some other kind of doubt...i.e....the first basemean juggling the ball,the possible pulling of the foot,etc,etc...

Plus, remember the less you say on the routine things, the more they will listen on the IMPORTANT stuff. Remember that on the routine things, use one word instead of two,and none instead of one if possible!

On routine ground balls where the runner or batter is out by 30 feet say NOTHING..just raise the arm quick and get back in position

On fairly routines where it might be a couple of feet....a quick 'out' will suffice,thank you

Thne on the bangers, you CAN go OUUUUUTTT,with the big overhand...and people will think 'Gee...he mustve gotten that one right!"..well..HOPEFULLY they will say that!

The same thing goes with 'safes'....I find the less I actually have to even SIGNAL safe, the better off I am....remember they are safe until put out,and signal accordingly..UNLESS YOU HAVE TO SELL IT...I find myself even on fairly close 'safes' barely signalling it...barely SAYING it...and you know..it makes those OUTS even much more believable...

I could go on a whole rant about selling behind the plate..but I won't....