Thread: Why sell calls?
View Single Post
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tzme415
I understand the point about not making a big deal out of routine calls, I don't want to be the focus when not necessary and I don't want insult the players. If it is an obvious out, like a pop-up or a ground ball where the throw beats the runner by a good margin or the runner gets to 1st without a throw, then don't show up the player by giving a loud emphatic 'OUT' or 'SAFE'. I don't do this, I simply give the signal with a quiet, 'OUT' or no signal for 'Safe'. If the play is closer, I of course make the signal with a louder, clearer 'OUT' or 'SAFE'. Maybe this is 'selling' the call, but I think I see so many umpires who like to run or jump about 5 steps closer to the play, give a really overly emphatetic signal, and scream the call. The loud, clear call is much better in my opinion than a call that sounds like a cat that got its tail ran over.
Speaking ASA

Well, I suggest you reconsider. At the ASA Nation Championships last year (better known as the Hooters tournament), apparently only 3 of the 12 umpires selected used an overhand/punch out mechanic and this was a serious topic in OKC and two of the clinics which I attended this year. I will pretty much bet that if an umpire shows up at this tournament this year and cannot or does not use an overhand, Bernie will be all over them.

This is a prescribed mechanic to be used in certain situations. So important do they think of this mechanic that it is the only time an umpire is allowed to use their left hand for the call.

JMHO,