The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

I have never understood the concept of 'Selling a Call'. Why can't we just make the call? In some ways isn't just making the call the same way every time showing confidence. Why sell the call unless I think I might be wrong? If I make a clear and strong call every time, then I don't need to over dramatize the close ones. I make the same consistent call and show confidence in my call. No need to 'sell'. Just my opinion.
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

If you make a " clear and strong call every time ", you are , in fact, " selling " your call. That is the philosophy of selling a call. It isn't about dancing or jumping up and down or any of the antics that some guys profess is their way of selling a call. There are umpires ( officials ) who are half hearted about calls they make and this gives the impression of indecision. Indecision is the invitation fans/spectators look for to get on an official. But your " clear and strong " call is a deterent to negative fan/spectator rebuttal of your call. By being clear and strong you give no indication you have any doubts about your call.
Therefore, you have aleady " sold " your call.
Don't underestimate the value of selling the call either. I had two close plays at the plate two nights ago. Both runners sliding under the tag to get a foot on the plate before they were tagged by the catcher. I signalled and made my " strong and clear " safe call with a finger point to the plate stating ( very loudly but firmly ) " he hit the plate before the tag ". I recieved very little grief from anyone on either call ( of course there is always one " official " in the stands who saw it better than I did. ) And I believe that was because I " sold " the call.
Just my humble opinion.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 09:27am
Ref Ump Welsch

I agree with what's been said so far on this topic. But there's one more thing I would like to throw out there for discussion. Does it make an umpire look "foolish" or unprofessional for "overselling" a call? I worked with a fellow blue last night (a rookie) for the third time this season already, and he continues to oversell some calls (at least in my opinion).

What I mean is...doing a sell "out" call when it was an obvious out. Or doing the safe sell call when the ball never got thrown over to the base. In my eyes, overselling brings attention to umpires that is unnecessary. What's the feeling out there?
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Ump Welsch
What's the feeling out there?
There's a difference between selling and showboating.
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Interestingly enough, our association stressed that very point this year at one of our meetings. We have 23 newly certified members and the point was made clearly - don't overcall the obvious. A simple closed fist out signal on a play that was not close. No signal for an obvious safe call - at any base. If no throw is made, than no call is necessary. As " veterans ", we need to help the rookies understand this concept. Take them aside and explain the theory.
If you save the big bang for the big play, it has much more impact and doesn't look like showboating. We all want that third out call with bases loaded in the bottom of a one run game to mean something special - ring it out.
And then get out of Dodge!
Just my humble opinion.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

All calls should reflect the importance of the call. An umpire should sell a call for a few reasons:

Make sure the players hear and understand the call. Sometimes players get so wrapped up in the play, they are not going to hear or see a routine out.

The sell eliminates the thought of any indecision on the umpire's behalf. Even a wrong call, the coach cannot question your decisiveness.

The sell brings you closer to the play (but not smothering) and gives the impression that you couldn't have been in a better position to make that call.

Old Tue May 10, 2005, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

I understand the point about not making a big deal out of routine calls, I don't want to be the focus when not necessary and I don't want insult the players. If it is an obvious out, like a pop-up or a ground ball where the throw beats the runner by a good margin or the runner gets to 1st without a throw, then don't show up the player by giving a loud emphatic 'OUT' or 'SAFE'. I don't do this, I simply give the signal with a quiet, 'OUT' or no signal for 'Safe'. If the play is closer, I of course make the signal with a louder, clearer 'OUT' or 'SAFE'. Maybe this is 'selling' the call, but I think I see so many umpires who like to run or jump about 5 steps closer to the play, give a really overly emphatetic signal, and scream the call. The loud, clear call is much better in my opinion than a call that sounds like a cat that got its tail ran over.
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 12:13pm
Ref Ump Welsch

I guess I should probably clarify a bit. From what I could see of my rookie partner last night, he wasn't trying to showboat. You could tell he was working on the mechanics of the sell safe or sell out call. I just felt he was using the wrong tone for the situation at hand. I told him that the closer the play, the harder the call. I was hoping that would help, but it really didn't. I don't know how else to explain the idea to him. Ideas?
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

The things I always remember the veteran umpires telling me:

1) Try not to be the focus
2) On Close plays, you will be the focus, but everyone is watching the play - take a breath, then everyone is going to focus on you for the call - make a clear call
3) Work on the mechanics at home, so they become almost automatic on the field

Sounds like at least your partner wants to learn, he'll pick up the timing of the game better with experience.
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tzme415
I understand the point about not making a big deal out of routine calls, I don't want to be the focus when not necessary and I don't want insult the players. If it is an obvious out, like a pop-up or a ground ball where the throw beats the runner by a good margin or the runner gets to 1st without a throw, then don't show up the player by giving a loud emphatic 'OUT' or 'SAFE'. I don't do this, I simply give the signal with a quiet, 'OUT' or no signal for 'Safe'. If the play is closer, I of course make the signal with a louder, clearer 'OUT' or 'SAFE'. Maybe this is 'selling' the call, but I think I see so many umpires who like to run or jump about 5 steps closer to the play, give a really overly emphatetic signal, and scream the call. The loud, clear call is much better in my opinion than a call that sounds like a cat that got its tail ran over.
Speaking ASA

Well, I suggest you reconsider. At the ASA Nation Championships last year (better known as the Hooters tournament), apparently only 3 of the 12 umpires selected used an overhand/punch out mechanic and this was a serious topic in OKC and two of the clinics which I attended this year. I will pretty much bet that if an umpire shows up at this tournament this year and cannot or does not use an overhand, Bernie will be all over them.

This is a prescribed mechanic to be used in certain situations. So important do they think of this mechanic that it is the only time an umpire is allowed to use their left hand for the call.

JMHO,
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the input - I will rethink my position, but I still will try not to sound like a cat the just had its tail run over.
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Mike,
I am not familiar with any call requiring the use of the left hand ( other than safe or foul ). What I mean is, how does one signal an out with the left hand? Is it possible to describe the procedure here in writing and where in the book it is recommended? I have just never heard of it. I am only looking to learn here. No criticism.
Thanks.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

I believe what Mike is referring to is this...

The overhand sell out is similar to the throwing motion for throwing a ball. Left-handed umpires can look pretty clumsy doing this right-handed. Therefore, since ASA believes the mechanic is important, and that it look authoritative, they allow left-handed umpires to perform the mechanic left-handed.

This is discussed on p 234 of the Umpire Manual section of the 2005 ASA rule book (Umpire Edition), in the section about the sell out call.
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
I believe what Mike is referring to is this...

The overhand sell out is similar to the throwing motion for throwing a ball. Left-handed umpires can look pretty clumsy doing this right-handed. Therefore, since ASA believes the mechanic is important, and that it look authoritative, they allow left-handed umpires to perform the mechanic left-handed.

This is discussed on p 234 of the Umpire Manual section of the 2005 ASA rule book (Umpire Edition), in the section about the sell out call.
Exactly.

Thanks Tom.
Old Sat May 14, 2005, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

My lesson in selling a call came a couple of years ago. Not a big game, not a pain in the *** coach, but I was BU and had a banger at first. I mean, to this DAY I've never had a closer call. Without hesitation, I made the "out" call and probably vocalized this call as loud as I possibly could. There's no WAY anyone could have possibly known if this runner was out or safe. Then from the dugout I hear "was he out"? I refrained from looking there, as I usually do but quickly figured out this statement was directed at the first base coach, who just shrugged. No one had any idea, myself included. But because I so emphatically made the out call, no one protested and the game went on as usual.