The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 07, 2005, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

I need someone to explain exactly how the mercy rule should be applied. I have been doing a majority of lower level high school games where the mercy rule is either 10 or 15 runs after 5 innings. I was under the impression that this rule means that after the home team has batted the 5th time and the opposing team has the required number of runs for the mercy rule, the game is over- at any point after the 5th inning. I have had games where the visiting team reaches the mercy rule margin in their half of the6th or 7th inning and the game is over by mutual agreement of the coaches. Yesterday the visiting team reached the mercy rule margin, in this case 10 runs,in the top of the 7th and I felt that based on all of the prior games I've had this occur in, the game should have been over. The home team disagreed. I let them bat. My assignor says I should have let them bat because had I not, the home team would not have had the same number of at bats as the visitors. I agree, but what's the purpose of the mercy rule then? By his logic if in a varsity contest where the visitors are leading 25-0 after they bat in the top of the 6th that the home team should get their raps in the bottom of the 6th. Why? I feel like I'm missing something here! If after the home team bats in the bottom of the 5th and the mercy rule doesn't apply yet, does that change the way the rule is applied for the 6th and 7th innings? In other words does the home team get to bat in the bottom of the 6th or 7th no matter how many runs they are chasing?
Old Sat May 07, 2005, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

Home team bats unless they have the lead by 10 or 15 runs respectively. In Alabama the rule is game over if one team is 15 runs ahead after 3 innings and 10 runs after 5 innings. The point is to not play 7 innings and have one team win by 30. It also takes a while to score 15 runs, often a run away 5 inning game will take longer than a well pitched fast paced 1 run game. This plays havoc with everybody's schedule and really what's the point if it's already a blow away. Frankly your probably right about it being a moot point to give the at bats but by rule both teams should get the same reps unless its the winning team by 10 or 15 respectively.
Old Sat May 07, 2005, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Regardless of the number of given runs, the "run rule" is applied when a team is losing by the designated number of runs has batted the number of innings required by the rule.

IOW, if the rule is 8 runs after 5 and the losing team is down by 8 after 5 or more offensive innings, the game is over.